Chapter XXI: A Step Forward

DISCLAIMER: This story includes references to depression, depressing thoughts, insecurities, anxiety, self-harm, blood, depictions or references to sexual activity and thoughts based around all of these concepts. If you do not want to read a story with slight references to these, I would urge you to click off.

AN: Only one more chapter to go~ I hope everyone enjoys this~

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter XXI: A Step Forward

The gate opens automatically for Applejack's truck, letting us into Filthy Rich's property with relative ease. I was expecting we would have to press the button to call for someone to open it, but I suppose Rich was already expecting us. Especially since I called him earlier to say I was going to be here. One thing that surprises me is the clear lack of enthusiasm on Applejack's face that has been present since she saw the exact address we're going to. "Is something wrong...?" I ask her curiously, Applejack concentrating on the driveway.

"I didn't know you had help from Filthy Rich..." The cowgirl grumbles her words, seemingly unenthused about the whole situation. Her hands seem to have a death grip on the steering wheel, making me a little curious as to what she has against the man. I mean, sure. He's arrogant, stubborn, hard to deal with and has a huge ego, but he's kept every one of his promises to me. I don't particularly enjoy talking to him or dealing with his bullshit, but it makes me wonder what her history is with him.

"Oh yeah! Didn't that guy try to buy your farm? Man, he was a prick," Rainbow Dash states from the back seat, placing a lollipop in her mouth.

"Four times," Applejack whispers with gritted teeth, her eyes seemingly ablaze with anger. "He had the nerve to try four bucking times. And each time, he said it would be the smart thing to do as a 'business woman.'" Huh. Rainbow Dash wasn't kidding. Applejack does use bucking as an alternative for a curse word. Regardless, Applejack's near growls show just how pissed she feels about the proposals the man gave her.

In front of the mansion, there's a large white van with a couple of boxes left inside and some on the ground, making me raise my eyebrow slowly. Without me telling her, Applejack slowly pulls in beside the van, leaving the vehicle in park and hopping out, knocking on Rainbow's window for her to get out. "Yeah, yeah. I'm coming," Dash states, both of us getting out of our seats at the same time. Walking around the side of the van, I see the front door open, revealing the same man who helped me with this task.

"Dazzle~ It's nice to see you brought some friends to get your things off my property." Turning his head to the other two, his eyes narrow slightly, a grin coming to his face. "Why, Ms. Applejack~ I wasn't expecting to see you today. When was the last time we met?" he asks her, extending his hand for a handshake, an offer Applejack reluctantly accepts to avoid being rude.

"The last time you offered to buy my farm," she says in a monotone voice, her frown remaining on her face.

"Ah, yes. Do tell me if you ever change your mind, alright?" Rich smiles at Applejack before stepping back, looking at the boxes from the white van. "If anything is missing, I suppose I could try to find that as well. It's the least I can do." Rich can't help but smile at me specifically when saying those words. Probably another attempt to remind me of what I have to do for him. I don't forget my obligations, Rich...

After Rich walks back up to his door, I grab one of the lighter boxes, bringing it to Applejack's truck and subsequently opening it to look inside. A small jewelry box sits on top of a set of romance movies, some silverware scattered along the side. I remember that night pretty clearly... The way Sunset cried at our misfortune. Even though Sunset isn't a big jewelry person, she had a few pieces that she liked or she was given over the years. So, in a way, they hold sentimental value to her. Grabbing the small wooden box, I open it to look for any of the items Sunset lost. She gave me pretty clear descriptions of everything she had lost and I put it down on the same piece of paper I marked what I had lost. The first thing that pops out to me is an orange necklace with a red circle, an orange symbol of the sun encrusted in the center. The symbol itself seems... familiar to me. Picking up the necklace, a part of me can't help but find the piece beautiful. It almost feels... different from the other items in the box. I'm not sure why though.