Chapter IV: Escalating Circumstances

Confrontation always leads to unforeseeable consequences. It's an awkward feeling that Adagio is about to understand all too well as she tries to help the love of her life. Will they both come out with hope in the end?

DISCLAIMER: This story includes references to depression, depressing thoughts, insecurities, anxiety, self-harm and thoughts based around all of these concepts. If you do not want to read a story with slight references to these, I would urge you to click off.

Hello, everyone! I hope everyone enjoys this newest installment of the series! Again, sorry for the slow burn, but that's just how I write~ Anyway! I am posting this with chapter 5, so I hope you all enjoy the double upload~ Thanks to my good friend Mon668 for beta reading these chapters, this story wouldn't be what it is without her valuable input on my story decisions! So, everyone feel free to shoot her a PM to thank her on Fimfiction under the profile Mon668! https://www.fimfiction.net/user/473432/Mon668

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter IV: Escalating Circumstances

"A-Adagio...? H-how long have you been there?" her lips instantly move in sync with her words, her eyes show a feeling of surprise as she covers herself up with the damned blanket... Tears instantly wiped away... The object isn't in sight anymore, but it's shape is still imprinted in my mind... "A-are you doing alright? I um... I missed you~" her voice let out the statement confidently, faking cheer and happiness as her fingers twitched on the blanket around herself... Her smile comes back to her face, hiding the nervousness she clearly feels.

My hands feel numb... A wobbly feeling spikes through my legs and my head is spinning... Despite my attempts to stabilize my breathing, my thoughts race through my mind, making me drop my phone to the floor. Why would... Why would she do this...? Someone so confident... Someone so determined and happy. Someone so... perfect... "Where is it...?" I ask weakly, finally locking my eyes with her again, slowly entering the room and walking towards the bed.

"Hmm? Where is what?" she asks innocently, shifting slightly in the bed as she rubs her arm slowly, the cool air lowering the temperature of the sweat on my forehead...

"Don't fucking do that," I say harshly, looking away for a moment. "Where... is the damn knife?" I ask slowly, looking into her eyes as I clench my fists. Why would she do this...? Am I not good enough...? Can I not help her...?

"A-a knife? I don't-"

"Sunset, I know when you're lying." Interrupting her mid sentence, I walk the last stretch towards the bed, grabbing the blanket and pulling it away from her in my moment of anger and confusion. There it was... shining in our bed... That fucking object... It only takes a moment for Sunset to grab it, holding it close to her body, seemingly thinking of what to say as we lock our eyes. Why is it here, Sunset...? Why is there a knife in our bedroom...?

"I-I can explain!" she states quickly, looking down at herself and the knife for an idea.

"Why, Sunset...?" My question, as weak as it is, hits her ears as her head aims away from me, tears welling up in her eyes. "Someone so happy... so confident... Determined, caring, kind... Why would someone like that be in this situation?" My voice cracks slightly, feeling my own tears starting to well up in my eyes as she shifts uncomfortably, closing her eyes. The horrible feeling of silence is present as I stare at her, waiting for some sort of answer. To be honest, we both probably don't know what to say... I never thought in a million years that I would... ever come across a scene like this...

"I-it's not like that..."

"Then what is it, Sunset?" I ask instantly, walking towards the window and closing the blinds. No one else should ever see Sunset in these circumstances... I don't even know why I am being subjected to this torture... What form of humor does god take from harming her...? Taking a deep breath, I look to Sunset once more and see her shivering body, her fingers quivering and the sound of sniffling fills my ears... "I'm... I'm sorry. Please, Sunset... What's going on here?" I slowly ask her, walking towards the bed and sitting down next to her legs. "Let me in..."