Chapter XVIII: Afternoon Surprises

DISCLAIMER: This story includes references to depression, depressing thoughts, insecurities, anxiety, self-harm, blood, depictions or references to sexual activity and thoughts based around all of these concepts. If you do not want to read a story with slight references to these, I would urge you to click off.

AN: After writing a couple of new oneshots centered around Adagio, I've finally gotten around to finishing this newest chapter of A Shimmering Heartbreak~ Right before my semester starts too~ Can't wait to write the next chapter!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter XVIII: Afternoon Surprises

My mind searches for any excuse that Sunset may have for keeping it from me... I lied to Sunset to keep her happy and I realize that it was the wrong thing to do. Now I find out that she goes behind my back and asks Twilight to freaking study me because she's worried about my health. I understand her worry, but why couldn't she talk to me about it beforehand? God, I could have gone to see a doctor about my hallucinations, but she didn't even consult me. She just decided for me, thinking she knew what was best. Maybe this was all spurred on from my lying, thinking that I'm not in the right headspace to make a decision like that, but I don't think that's the case. Other than hallucinations and some migraines, I don't have any side effects from that stupid injury...

Even Twilight's notebook said I had fine motor skills and that nothing seemed to be impaired. Nothing seems to be wrong other than that stupid shadow. Other than her... Bringing my hand to my forehead, I can't help but sigh, trying to stabilize myself before I find Sunset. Not only did I treat Twilight like shit for this, but I can't help but feel the urge to scream. We just made up last night and now she's doing this? Why? I usually agree with her on things and I would be a lot more open to listening to her suggestion if she didn't do this.

Walking forward, I look around the crowds, trying my best to take deep breaths and think rationally. I don't want to yell at Sunset or cause a scene... That would just cause an even bigger problem than I already have. Talking like adults to try and solve the situation is the best course of action...

"Then again, she didn't talk to you like an adult," a whisper stabs at the back of my mind, making me look around my surroundings. Not her again... Why aren't any of the colors dulled out? And... My eyes widen as I see her sparkling red dress, her eyes staring at me until a few people walk in front of my line of sight, disappearing almost instantly. Not only are the colors still here, she's not a shadow. Where the fuck did she go?

"Your problem shouldn't be focused on finding me," she whispers inside my head, feeling a hand grab my shoulder. Looking behind me, no one is there other than the crowd of people I don't know. "You should be focusing on the fact that the worm you call a lover lied to you," she states with a menacing tone, feeling something sharp drag along my cheek. God damn it... I can't afford to do this right now. Quickly walking past as many people as I can, her chuckle poisons my mind, being practically the only thing I can hear. "Everything I've predicted has come true. Sunset's friends still haven't forgiven each other, the one you love turned out to backstab you and now you're wondering exactly what to do. Don't you wish you would have listened to me?" Her quiet whisper forces my mind to listen to nothing but her, even the sound of my footsteps alluding me. "Being quiet, huh? Why so? People talk to themselves all the time, you know~" The unsettling nature of her smooth voice is what causes me the most distress of all, making me wish she would just leave me alone. "Then again, you might be labeled as more crazy than before. Something I'm sure Sunset would love to exploit just to put you away in a hospital."

"Will you shut up?" I whisper, looking towards the ground as I walk. "She wouldn't do that to me. She didn't lie, she just... didn't tell me this."

"Oh, so now you're defending her? Just a moment ago, you were as rageful as a wasp, ready to attack anything that moved. Don't you think a little anger is justified in this blatant forgery of the truth?" her voice asks in a striking tone, distracting me even further. "Tell me, Adagio. What is more important to you? Self-respect or letting her walk all over you? This should be an easy question." Once again, her cackle bounces around my mind, making me grimace. Without fail, my eyes notice her feet walking next to mine, causing me to look up at her eyes. That evil stare is present once more, sending a chill up my spine.