Chapter XIV: White Lies and Solemn Truths

Spending time with Twilight isn't as easy as it first seemed. Even though making her first impression with the science whiz is one of her top priorities, Adagio has a lot on her mind. The Apple Family reunion is only a couple days away and her mind is still making her doubt herself. How will a siren deal with the stress of it all? Maybe with the help of a friend and some manicures~

DISCLAIMER: This story includes references to depression, depressing thoughts, insecurities, anxiety, self-harm, blood, and thoughts based around all of these concepts. If you do not want to read a story with slight references to these, I would urge you to click off.

AN: I told you all that the last chapter was only a small update before my next big chapter~ And here it is! This is officially the longest chapter I've ever written so far, clocking in at 22 and a half pages with 14.3k words~ Please excuse any typos or weird sentences since this was all made in the span of four days without my beta reader, but I will go back and revise when possible~ I can't wait to hear what everyone thinks of this chapter and I hope you all stay safe and special! Goodnight, everyone~

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter XIV: White Lies and Solemn Truths

An awkward silence follows my exclamation with all eyes locked on me, including the dog's. My confused expression stays locked on my face for far too long as I try and process what just happened. We're not in Equestria... Animals shouldn't be able to talk here, right? I mean, some magic leaked through, but a whole talking dog? "Um... Is something wrong?" Words can easily be heard once again as the dog's mouth moves, making me question whether or not I'm dreaming... If I am dreaming, why would I dream of this place...? I usually imagine Sunset and I cuddling on the couch as we watch a movie, nothing else being important in the moment.

"Did... that dog just talk?" I ask slowly without taking my eyes away from the dog, both Twilight and Sunset looking to each other to assess the situation. "Please tell me I'm not hallucinating again." For a moment, everyone stays quiet in an awkward staring contest, but then Sunset laughs out loud to herself, sitting down on a chair nearby to prevent herself from falling down.

"Wait, you didn't know that Spike could talk?" Sunset barely asks through her laughs, struggling to breathe. Even though I find Sunset's laughs adorable, I can't help but feel a little irritated that knowledge like this is apparently so well known yet I wasn't in the loop of it. "I thought you kept tabs on all of us back when we were in school. Especially since you seemed to do an eerie amount of research on me," Sunset states after coming down from her laugh, still giggling slightly while she wipes a tear from her eye.

"I did research and kept my eye on you, but I was never aware Twilight's dog could talk! And are you telling me the other Twilight had a talking dog too?"

"I do have a name, you know," the dog states with a slight roll of his eyes before looking up at me. "I couldn't always talk, but Fluttershy helped me learn how to," Spike tells me with a happy look on his face, seemingly proud of his ability over other dogs.

"How... in the hell did Fluttershy help you learn how to talk?" My question is now aimed at Spike himself, the first time I'm actually willingly talking to him or any dog for that matter.

"That's a... long story," Twilight says with a sheepish look coming across her face, picking up Spike afterward.

"No, it's not. I simply jumped through five portals chasing that rabbit thing and here we are," Spike once again states with a proud look, causing Twilight to look at him with an annoyed glare and giving me a hundred more questions to ask... Before I can open my mouth, however, Sunset stands up and walks over to me, placing her hand on my shoulder and making me look into her ocean eyes. Her finger gently presses against my cheek and a small smile appears on her face, a slight shadow is cast upon her face since the light is behind her, yet her eyes remain as vibrant as ever. It's still hard to not get lost in them...