After taking a few sips from my drink, I decided that I needed quiet. The murmurs of masked people paired with the music and the fact that I had yet to meet Cathy all added to the annoyance I was feeling.

I spotted a sign marked exit at the far back of the room and figured I'd take my chances after scouting for Niccolò and still seeing nothing.

I was tired of seeing masked figures and I half wanted to remove my own. It was slightly uncomfortable in all honesty.

Weaving my way through the crowd was another task. My body was constantly being pushed without the large barrier of the annoying man and it helped me to realize he actually had some use.

By the time I'd made it to the door that led out into a quiet hallway that only let soft echoes of the music in, I heaved a breath and took a content sip of my drink.

The hallway looked like a modern office layout. The floors were carpeted and the hallways branched off in two opposite directions.

I took another sip, doing mental eenie-meenie-miney-moe until the sound of the door interrupted my final decision. I looked back a bit startled only to see it was a man on his phone facing the corner of the wall.

My eyes lingered on him a bit longer before darting back to the double doors. The urge to go find Niccolò was starting to creep up but I ignored it. I doubted anyone was concerned with little ole me.

Maybe I'd even wander and stumble on Cathy. I'd know the woman anywhere, mask or not.

I decide to head left on a whim of people always choosing right. Expecting the unexpected is what I was aiming for.

My aimless walking somehow brought me around in a circle - as if the place was all connected. When I saw the sign for the female restroom I decided to stop for a bit to freshen up.

Inside, I slipped my mask off, massaging the bridge of my nose softly to get rid of the tense feeling. My phone on the counter read that it was a little past eleven and I sighed. My eyes snapped over through the mirror when the only occupied stall opened and my fingers paused at the woman.

No way.

Cathy fucking Sullivan walks out and places her mask on the counter beside mine before moving to wash her hands.

She peers over at me and sends a soft smile that I'm too stunned to return. "These masks are a bit of a hassle, right?"

My brain was still frozen but when her brows furrowed a bit, it snapped me out of my daze. "Tell me about it." I nod in agreement and the smile returned to her face.

Her ginger hair was pulled back in an elegant bun and as expected, her makeup was flawless. Her dress was black, with a sweetheart neckline and small diamonds dotting intricately down the fabric before wrapping around the perimeter and touching the floor.

"Your dress is gorgeous." My compliment made her smile and I smiled in return.

My phone lights up again and we both look down. I regretted it instantly when the screen showed a photograph from one of Cathy's first exhibits grinning broadly and I quickly covered the screen in embarrassment.

She laughs. "I'm guessing you know who I am then?"

The embarrassment had me smiling timidly with a nod, "You could say that you're the only reason I'm here."

Her smile softened at the words before she reached for my phone and clicked the camera button. She angled our bodies so we're facing the wall instead of the bathroom stall before snapping away.

She laughed heartily at my shocked face in the photo before encouraging me to smile and when I did hers widened. A few photos later, while we freshened up we continued conversing and I was so happy that my heart felt like it could burst.