6

It was almost two in the morning and I was exhausted. "No it went good. I'm about to head back now." Antony sighed still not liking the fact I was out so late.

"Well, at least everything went smoothly. Have you eaten? I know you're not one to eat from strangers." My stomach grumbled at his words. He knew me too well.

My walking halted in front of the glass doors leading out to a balcony. I looked back down the hall I'd come from still seeing the bright lights out the room we were occupying and figured I hadn't wandered too far.

"I'm starving actually." I walked over to the edge taking in the beauty of the perfectly trimmed grass and the fairy lights dancing in the dark. "I'll probably grab McDonald's on my way home."

He laughed at that, "well don't leave evidence. Your mom will surely have a heart attack."

I laughed at his words knowing they were true, "being her extra self she probably would."

"Well drive safe and text me when you're home. I'm still seeing you tomorrow right?"

When the whole engagement arrangement came up, we agreed that we'd go on a date every week just to have time to be ourselves to try and make the arrangement work. It was a plus because our parents loved the thought of us finally 'dating' in public. It always ended up being us just hanging around and so I always looked forward to it.

"Of course. Will you tell me where we're going this time?" I smiled already knowing what his answer would be.

"Nice try." He laughed a little before he grew quiet, "I love you Quinn, never forget that."

My head raised to the sky as I swallowed the ball in my throat, I was just talking to my best friend, "how could I? I love you too."

We ended the call and I stayed in my position for a big longer looking over the rail.

"What a surprise."

The surprise of hearing another voice that wasn't mine had me jumping and before I knew it my phone was slipping from my hands before it smashed into the concrete below me.

"Oh no! My phone!" The anger I was feeling was palpable as I turned to face the intruder, "what the fuck-" the sight of him made my words cut off. "You."

His presence made the small balcony shrink in size. His hair was pulled back with a hair tie, only a few of the strands fell around his face.

Once again, he was wearing all black and I could easily guess it was his favorite color. He was carrying a small duffle bag that he dropped when my eyes rested on it. When he took a step forward, bringing his entire body onto the balcony, instinctively I took a step back.

I'd forgotten how big he was. Seeing him at the event, dressed in heels, it was easier to look up at him but now, in sneakers, my eyes were leveled with his chest. Familiar chains caught my eyes and I watched them hang through the opened buttons of his shirt as he bent and leaned forward.

"You're in my house, shortcake." His eyes were sharp, calculating and didn't waiver as he looked at me.

His comment brought annoyance. Everything was always about height, "yeah, well not everyone can be a fucking lamp post." I choose to ignore the part about his house because had I known, I would have definitely declined Valeria.

His eyebrows raised a fraction and a ghost of a smile passed his lips, "trust me, bella. I mean it in all the best ways."

His voice was but a murmur and I wasn't sure if it was the deep tone or the breeze that pulled my hair from the messy bun - but a shiver ran down my spine.