3

The hall was huge. Beautiful. The first thing I did when we stepped out the car was snap a quick picture of the vines growing up the front of the building. It was like a fairytale.

"You can't bring that inside." After snapping a few shots, I looked over the hood of the car to Antony. With the minimal conversation we'd had on the ride, only him briefly discussing that we were meeting potential investors and business colleagues, I was surprised he was speaking to me.

"Why not?" I knew it would be some stupid rule.

"Some of these people hate to be photographed. It's a precaution. I don't want anyone thinking you're something you're not." His words made my eyes brows furrow but I dropped it back in the car nonetheless. Who would want to spy on some stupid business event.

"Already having a blast. Yippie!" My sarcasm was heavy.

He gave the valet the keys before moving towards me. When his hands circled my waist I let my head fall against his arm slightly with the advantage of my heels.

"I know you hate this Quinn, I do. But I'm trying to make the best out of the situation. You're my best friend," he looked down at me and the realization that he was doubting himself made me feel shitty, "right?"

It was hard to come to terms with it, but I realized Antony was going through the same thing I was. Neither of us wanted to be in the situation but somehow I was putting my blame on him. I was being unfair when we both had equal parts of accepting.

"Yes." I nodded and snuggled deeper into his side, "of course I am. I'm sorry, I'm being inconsiderate to your feelings. It's just..."

He squeezed my waist, "I know."

We walked up the short stairs to enter the building before we were going down winding hallways that led into a huge ballroom. Antony gave the two security guards a slight nod before we entered the room.

There were people everywhere. Beautiful gowns, crisp suits, glasses clinking and a beautiful melody played in the background. 

My eyes danced around the room, taking in the chandeliers and the golden drapes over the windows before they settled on the bar. Exactly where I needed to be.

Before I could make an elegant exit, Antony was shaking hands with someone on his left and soon I was being introduced.

"This is my fiancé, Rosalyn. Rose, this is Viktor." My head turned with a practiced dimpled smile.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Viktor." His hand held mine in a firm grip.

"The pleasure is mine." He looked to Antony, "ona prekrasna." The words I recognized as him saying I'm beautiful made me smile a bit harder being polite.

"Sharp ear on her, huh." That brought a chuckle from our group. We spoke some more until I was grabbing a champagne flute from a passing waiter before I pressed the glass to my lips.

I'd been introduced to a large amount of different people in the span of the hour we'd been walking around. My cheeks were hurting from the forced smiles and the word fiancé was a dull ring in the back of my mind.

I was sick of hearing the word. I stretched my neck up towards Antony's ear, "I'm going to the lady's room really quick."

He stopped his conversation with the De Luca's to shoot a nod at me. I pressed a light kiss to his cheek, wiping the slight gloss I left behind before I excused myself from the couple.

My legs were aching from standing in the same place for too long. I made my way through the crowd following the signs that said restroom until I was pushing past a door and out of the buzzing crowd.