13

There were a few rapid knocks on the door before it was pushed open and Niccolò made his entrance. Jesus Christ. My eyes roamed him, and I knew that even if I tried my hardest I wouldn't have been able to pull my gaze away.

His once haphazard curls were slick and gelled back slightly making the locs rest nicely against the nape of his neck. His suit was undoubtedly tailored to him. It showed with how the material fit snug over his figure, wrapping around his large frame perfectly. My eyes caught the small gold handkerchief in his pocket and I turned back to my mirror.

My makeup was dewy, oozed sex appeal and my eyes were shimmery even through the gold mask with intricate designs along the sides. My hair was bone straight and parted down the middle, shielding the diamond earrings that were hanging behind it.

The dress was steamed to perfection with not a wrinkle in sight. The diamond necklace around my neck was a reminder of the man I was here with. He gave it to me, along with the matching bracelet that was clasped around my left wrist.

He walked up behind me and his body heat pierced through my clothes and forced goosebumps over my exposed skin. His eyes followed my movements as I added a bit more lipstick to my lined lips. "Shall we get this show on the road?"

He wasted no time before turning and waiting at the door while I gathered my purse. He led me out to where there was a car already running and waiting for us. The man truly wasted no time. The ride over was silent and mainly consisted of me swiping through my photos to weed out the bad ones and Niccolò watching quietly.

We pulled up to the venue and there was no question if we were in the right place. There were lights bordering a black carpet that led up the steps to the building and photographers stood eagerly with flashing lights as they captured everyone entering.

Niccolò helped me secure my mask and ensured that it was on properly. For some reason it seemed like the hardest thing ever to keep eye contact. "You don't take this off tonight." I frowned at his words but nodded my head regardless. It wasn't as if I wanted people to know I was with him.

Those were his final words before our driver rounded the car and we were ushered into the light.

. . .

In a way, I felt like I was out with Antony. The fake smiles and greeting of so many people that their faces started to blur was awfully familiar. Niccolò had been acting a bit strange as well. It was almost as if he was showcasing me. And not in a flattering way.

"Let's stop by the bar." He raised himself from where he'd crouched to whisper against the shell of my ear before placing his hand against the small of my back to lead me.

It wasn't a question as much as a demand and though I wanted to ask what the hell was wrong with him, I allowed him to lead me away. He placed himself behind me, planting a hand on the counter which trapped me in the process.

"Gin and tonic and a double scotch. Neat." I tried to keep my expression blank from the fact that he'd known my order after hearing me get it once.

He stepped closer and I sucked in a small breath instinctively. He was so close that I could feel the slight coolness coming from his belt through the thin material of my dress.

His drink arrived first and when he grabbed it off the granite he leaned lower to press his lips against my ear. "Don't move. I'll be right back."

When I turned to ask him what he meant by that his back was already to me as he weaved his way through the crowd.

My frown deepened. The waiter placing my drink down stole my attention long enough for me to ignore the annoyance I was feeling. If he thought I was just going to sit around like some obedient little pet, he had another thing coming.