Shocking Revelation

Start from the beginning

Quickly turning from the curious gaze of Levi, Arden watched Eren. The boy was sat so far away from them and it was easy to tell that he was nervous and uncomfortable. Afterall who wouldn't be when they're about to have a meeting about the future of their life: whether they'd live to see it or not.

And after that, her eyes unwillingly drifted to the eerie shadows of the room. The way they stalked and crawled over the stone walls, suffocating everything in its darkness. There were tingles down her spine as she felt like something was watching her, hidden in the nothingness. Perhaps it was just paranoia, but those shadows left her on edge. Anything could be lurking in them.

It was maybe another 5 minutes of silence before Levi grew irritated. Erwin called for this meeting and yet he hadn't shown up after 20 minutes. Just what the hell was he playing at?

And his irritation turned into annoyed muttering as he talked to no one in particular for the next few minutes. Mostly cursing Erwin for being late but talking nonetheless. "What's the hold up? Erwin's never late. They should all be here. At this rate the damn MPs'll show up first. That'd be our luck."

Picking up his teacup and taking sip, but not before noticing that Arden hadn't even touched her tea, it still sitting in the same place as he left it. "Yeah, who can say? Maybe they're all takin' a shit. Duty calls, right?" Trying to lighten the mood, Levi flickered his gaze to Arden but all he saw was her still blankly staring into the darkness. He sighed internally, but at least he was able to lift someone's spirits.

Eren chuckled lightly, relaxing a little as he listened to his Captain rambling. "You're, uh... sure in a talkative mood today." Eren said, glancing at the two.

"So what if I am? Doesn't mean I was talkin' to you." And despite his words, there was a lighthearted edge to Levi's voice.

But still it confused Eren who looked around, the 3 being the only ones in the room and Arden was just aimlessly staring at a wall, so he couldn't have been talking to her.

Levi suddenly whinced, his hand shooting to his injured leg as the pain suddenly spread upwards from his ankle.

Arden immediately looked down as she felt the press of his knee against hers move, the contact gone. And she found herself frowning at Levi's sprained ankle.

"It's my fault, sir." Eren suddenly spoke up, guilt flooding from his voice, "I made the choice. If I'd have thought this through none of this-- We wouldn't--"

"You made a judgement call. Look, no one expects you to be clairvoyant." Levi cut him off, no anger in his voice. When he finished, their heads snapped in the direction of the door as it opened. Eren immediately standing up as a sign of respect to Erwin, who had just entered.

"Sorry to keep you waiting." Erwin spoke, professional as ever.

"Sir." Eren greeted before gasping, his eyes widening at the sight of his friends: Armin, Mikasa and Jean. "What the--? Why-- Why are you all here?" The boy questioned, surprised to see them at this supposed important meeting.

"We believe we've uncovered the Female Titan's true identity." The room freezing at Erwin's words, "She won't slip away this time."

~•~

The group prepped a small, detailed map of the Capital with annotations scribbled across it. They all sat around the table, the air thick and almost suffocating with how serious it was. This wasn't a conversation to be had lightly. The fate of humanity rested on it.

Levi sat at the head of the table, paper in hand and a stoic expression as he examined the parchment. Arden sat to his left, followed by Jean and then Erwin. On the opposite side of the table was Mikasa, Armin then Eren.

And as Erwin began to explain the plan, Arden had to tear her focus from the shadows that the demons could be lurking in and force herself to focus on the Commander. Afterall, humanity came before her own selfish paranoia.

"The day after tomorrow, we'll be passing through Stohess District en route to the Capital. That's when we'll strike. It'll be our first and only chance to do so. Once we've set foot in the interior, the government will assume custody of Eren, and the Scouts' authority to continue operations will be limited. Thus, unless we wish to concede defeat... we must flush out the enemy now. So here's what we do."

Everyone watching intently as Erwin pointed his finger at the map, dragging it down the desired path as he spoke, "While in Stohess, we use Eren as bait, luring the target into this underground passage. The deeper, the better. Get her well beneath street level. That done, she should be easily immobilised, even in Titan form. If she transforms before reaching the tunnel, well, at that point she'll be your responsibility, Eren."

Eren seemed taken aback by all the responsibilities placed on his shoulders as his eyes widened. Yet he stayed strong, gulping softly before nodding in acknowledgement. "Right. So we know she'll be in Stohess? There's no chance she'll bolt before we get there?" He questioned.

"No." Erwin replied sternly, "She won't risk going AWOL."

Arden's eyes narrowing as the pieces clicked in her mind. 'AWOL'? That can only mean she's of military background. And considering there had always been suspicions that another shifter was in the Regiment's, this wasn't shocking news. Except the fact that the shifter was thought to be in Scouts, but wasn't.

"Wait, you mean she's--" Eren started, seemingly clicking with what the Commander and Arden were thinking.

"Armin, here, identified her. She's an MP. Likely responsible for the deaths of Hange's test subjects." The serious face of Erwin only growing more intimidating as he narrowed his focus, "And a fellow trainee in the 104th Cadet Corps."

"Wha--? You can't be serious! I trained with her?" Eren exclaimed, absolutely shocked at the revelation that Erwin, Levi and Arden had already figured out weeks ago.

"I'm sorry, but yes. She's one of us."

"No. It can't be..." Eren whispered, devastated by the news. And Arden felt sympathy for him, he was a strong and brave kid. Thrust into a world that forced him to grow up. Sure he had some explosive tendencies and wasn't always the brightest, but the kid had heart. And he trusted to a fault. He was too innocent to realise that the people around him can be the most dangerous sometimes. But now he had to learn.

"Her name..." Erwin started, gaining everyone's attention as they sat at the edge of their seats in anticipation. This was the moment of truth. The moment where justice can be delivered for the soldiers who lost their lives in the expedition. "Is Annie Leonhart."

~•~

Ugh this chapter is so bad 😶