𝐞𝐬𝐭. 𝟎𝟒𝟓 { The Cover }

Start from the beginning

The dry look on his face makes me chuckle as I open the door and shut it behind me. I take a second to recollect myself, letting my head fall back against the door and sighing heavily. Though my thought filled mind slows, my heart can't fully catch up to speed with the change in pace.

"You guys staying or leaving?" I walk into Miles and Vic lying horizontally on the couch. One of the blankets that was supposed to be in my room, covering their tangled bodies. The movie end credits panned over the small tv screen in our makeshift living room as the two of them were silently talking, probably trying to hide the fact Vic's hair was a tangled mess and Miles was masking his annoyed facial expression with a pillow.

I guess we both were in the middle of getting some.

Miles' eyes lift up. "Staying of course. My mom has Bria for another day, maybe two if I ask."

"Babe how bout we stay at your place tonight. Give them some space, hmm." Vic finishes with a tight lipped smile.

After Zachs injury, Miles has become more of an overbearing parent than best friend. In a way it was helpful that I no longer had to do all the excess laundry, picking up homework assignments and cooking for all of us but I could tell it was getting a bit too much for Zach with four people instead of two living in this compact space. Our dorm could only fit so many and I'm pretty sure this violated every rule in the residence hall.

Victoria gathers their things along with her overnight bag that she used often when staying at Miles place. I offer her a thankful smile which she waved off. Miles stands up from the couch. A heavy sigh leaving his lips in the process. "Are you sure, you'll be alright with...everything."

"He'll be fine." I assured, leading them towards the door.

"Yeah, okay, but let me know if you guys need anything. We'll stop by the grocery store so I can cook a few meals or I can come and get you so we can go together—wait no, then he'll be alone. I'll just go with Vic and—"

Victoria drags him by his arm as they make their way towards the front door. This doesn't stop his rant in the slightest as he continues to talk about the different recommended proteins for athlete recovery.

"Bye, Miles." I peek my head through the tiny space I had left open.

"Call me!" He shouts, wincing at his pierced ear now being tugged out into the hall. Vic looks back sending a sorry look and I shake my head, laughing at the stronghold she manages to still have over her giant boyfriend.

As the shower runs in the background I take this time to tidy up the place starting with putting misplaced items back where they belong. I shuffle through the mail, throwing away old newsletters and campus event flyers in the trash. I reorganized the shoe rack that had way too many shoes on it to properly stand up and finally I cleared the kitchen area, so the fleat of opened food products were either put or thrown away.

From down the hall, I hear a loud thud, making me instantly stand on my feet and rush to the bathroom.

"Zach?!"

No response.

I twist the knob just a fraction and surely it's unlocked. "Are you okay?! I'm coming i—"

"Don't...come in" He trails as the door swings open.

Just as I walk in the steam of fog makes a viewable pathway straigh ahead. I watch Zachs head fall back to the tiled shower wall with closed eyes. His top half is on display and not a drop of ink goes unappreciated by myself. I feel my mouth go dry at the view. I try my hardest not to stare but it gets harder the closer we grow.