Chapter Eighteen

It seemed like only a mere few seconds since I had first closed my eyes, but I had no real way of knowing how long I was actually asleep. It was strange, as I lay there motionless I realised that I had no recollection of most of the events of last night, or of going to bed. Perhaps I had drank a little too much at the ball?

I groaned sleepily, usually I had no trouble getting up in the mornings, due to the fact that I rarely slept, but this time I was exhausted; my limbs heavy and my head clouded with a dull ache. Surely Thor would understand if I was a little late this morning?

So, for the first time in a long while, I allowed myself the luxury of a few more minutes sleep. But just as I was about to roll over in bed, something stopped me. Even though my eyes hadn't been opened yet, I knew that these weren't my usual surroundings. The bed beneath me wasn't the hard, coarse one I was used to and the air wasn't filled with the gentle breathing of my fellow servants, but instead with the sound of a fireplace crackling nearby.

As the weight of consciousness began to fully lower on me, I realised that I was definitely not in the maid's chambers, and when my curiosity could no longer take it, I finally pried open my heavy lids and stared up at the stone ceiling above me. The shadows of the fire played over the curves of the stone structure, but gave me no indication of my location, other than that it was not yet morning.

A short glance down told me that I was still wearing my dress from last night, but my memories were still hazy. I was sure something important had happened, but I had no idea what it was.

Ignoring the dull throbbing in my head, I forced it to move to the side so that I could look around the room. The first thing I realised was that I was not on a bed, but instead on a soft, green suede sofa in the centre of a large, empty chamber, illuminated only by a few sparse candles and the light of the large fireplace. I vaguely noted that the layout was very similar to Thor's chambers, although the colour scheme was more green and black, and papers and books were strewn over almost every surface.

The next thing that came into my vision was a dishevelled and quiet Loki sitting on an armchair opposite me, his head resting heavily in his hands.

He was the last person I expected to see, his presence causing me to sit up quickly in surprise, a bolt of pain flashing through my forehead. My hand flew up to my head in shock at the sudden pain, but I pushed the feeling away.

"Loki?" I breathed quietly in confusion, my throat dry and hoarse.

His head instantly lifted at the sound of my voice, his eyes tired and his usually slick hair now messy and tousled. He looked awful.

Despite his apparent exhaustion and distress, he smiled in relief, his entire body slumping as if he had been holding a weight on his shoulders for hours.

"Alva, you're awake."

I frowned, glancing around the darkened room again, "Where am I?"

"My chambers. I thought this might be the safest place for you." He explained, letting out a heavy breath and running a hand through his hair.

When he spoke, it was as if a spark had suddenly been lit in my mind and the memories of last night began to flood back to me. Dancing with Fiske and Loki. Leaving the ball early. Meeting Fiske in the library.

My head shot back to Loki, my body immediately tensing, "Where's Fiske?" I breathed in fear, my eyes wide and panicked.

Sensing my distress, Loki stood and was immediately by my side, kneeling down on the floor beside me. He took my hand gently in his, his touch cool, as usual.

"Don't worry, last I saw him he was lying unconscious in the library. I made sure he was down for a while." He replied with distaste, gazing into the distance with dark eyes, as if he were reliving the memories again.