Chapter Ten

Making my way up through the palace towards the Prince's chambers, I didn't fail to notice the slight spring in my step, or the steady beat of my heart in my chest. Despite the traumatic events of the past twelve hours, or the thought of whatever waited for me upon meeting the Prince, there was a relief in me stronger than I had ever felt before. It relaxed my shoulders, allowed me to breathe deeply again, to walk without fear. There was no more looking over my shoulder, fearing every day that I would be caught. Yes, I was still a slave, but at least now I had one less thing to be scared of.

Halting at the mouth of the long corridor that led straight to Thor's chambers, I took a deep breath in an attempt to quell the sudden frantic beating in my chest. Prince Thor had been kind to me so far, and I had no reason to fear him, but I had heard stories of his sometimes volatile wrath and stubborn pride. Would he be furious? Would he resent me, even hate me? I sighed in defeat. There was only one way to find out.

Clenching my fists, I took off at a sprint down the long corridor, running through streaks of morning sun as dawn finally broke over the horizon. I slowed to a jog and finally stopped a few feet away from the door, hesitantly walking the last few steps and raising my fist to knock. Just before my knuckles made contact, the door swung up in front of me, revealing Jane standing in the doorway. Wide eyes rose to meet mind and I smiled tremulously, fearful of her reaction. I hadn't even thought of how she felt toward me.

Before I could even begin to speak, her shocked expression transformed into a relieved smile and she instantly dragged me into a crushing hug. Stunned at first, I stood rigidly in her grasp, until I finally relaxed into the embrace and wrapped my arms around her lithe frame.

"It's so good to see you, Fell. I was so worried." Her words were spoken in a reverent whisper and I smiled in relief as I broke from her hold, leaning back to look at her.

"You're not angry?"

Her delicate features contorted into a slight frown, "Why would I be?"

"I lied to you. It's a crime."

Jane shrugged dismissively, "Where I come from it wouldn't matter." She smiled gently again and stroked my arm, "You were very brave, Fell, but I don't understand why you would lie about something like this."

I sighed, bowing my head, "I see now that I was foolish, but I was scared. I was scared of how I would be treated if people knew the truth. In this world women are nothing: toys, playthings, to be looked down upon as if they were nothing. I just wanted to matter."

"You do matter. And look at Sif, or Frigga. Do you think anyone is looking down at them? No." Her hand moved up to cup my cheek, gazing earnestly into my eyes, "You don't understand the power you have."

Smiling slightly, I nodded and dipped my chin, not wanting her to see the tears brimming in my eyes. Knowing that she didn't hate me relieved me more than I thought it would, but with it came the question of her quick tempered husband.

As if sensing my fears, Jane tilted her head sympathetically, "Give him time, Fell. He might seem angry, but underneath it all he's just happy you're okay."

I nodded and smiled tightly, blinking back my tears and bracing myself for whatever lay inside for me.

Jane sighed, "Well, I should get going. Come find me later, okay?"

My smile was genuine this time and she chuckled as she stepped out of the doorway and past me, "I always knew you were too pretty to be a boy."

After waving a short goodbye, I watched her walk away before finally letting out the long breath I didn't realise I had been holding. Steeling my nerves and shaking out the tension in my shoulders, I forced open my clenched hands and gently pushed the door ajar.

Thor was just finishing to get dressed in his bedchamber when I entered, and I caught a small glimpse of his wide, muscular back through his open door as he pulled a long sleeved tunic over his head.

Ducking my head away, I felt startlingly visible without my cap to protect my face. It had been my shield for the past few months, my way to keep hidden, but now for the first time I felt how truly vulnerable I was. The realization only added to my growing tidal wave of uneasiness.

Fearing that my nerves would soon get the better of me, I cleared my throat to get Thor's attention before I could break down completely. As if perpetually on guard, he turned with a start at the sound, but relaxed a little when he noticed me standing meekly in the centre of his chamber, my head down and hands clasped behind my back. A servant's stance.

I felt his wary eyes on me, and he watched me silently for several moments without uttering a single word. There was a charged energy about him that I was unfamiliar with. Was he, dare I say it, nervous? It was an expression that I had thought alien to the giant prince, but as I peeked up at him just enough to notice him flexing his fists, it felt like the only explanation.

Suddenly, he sighed and ran a hand through his loose hair, still tangled from sleep. For some inexplicable reason, I relaxed at the motion and blew out a silent breath. He walked slowly down the few steps that lead up to his bedchamber and down into the main room, and crossed his thick arms as he stopped to observe me from a distance. He was wary of me, it was obvious. But what wasn't obvious, was why.

"It seems as though there are a few things we need to discuss," he finally rumbled in a low voice.

I swallowed tightly and nodded, "Yes."

"Why?" I didn't need to ask what he was referring to.

"The same reason any slave would. Fear." There was a slight bite to my tone, but I hoped he would overlook it.

His frown deepened. "Of me?"

Shrugging, I glanced down to the shining marble floor. "At first, yes, but there are others that I fear more."

"Has anyone moved to threaten you?" He asked, a little harshly.

I shook my head to reassure him, "No, but I'm sure it was only a matter of time. You know as well as I that female slaves are treated differently than men."

"You are under my protection." He insisted, but a wave of hot fury snapped my head up and I locked harsh eyes with his.

"What does that matter?"

He uncrossed his arms and took a step forward, a flash of anger in his eyes, "It matters a great deal, I am the future king of Asgard."

Feeling chastised, I bowed my head again to show my regret, and the Prince took a step back, realising his mistake.

"I'm just a slave." I mumbled under my breath, feeling the words hit me stronger than any fist could. That's all I would ever be. Just a slave.

He sighed, "Even so, you are my slave. And as such you are of a higher rank. You shouldn't have to feel afraid."

Lifting my head I searched his gaze, and, finding no reason to doubt him, I nodded in acquiesce.

"What do I call you now? I have a feeling that you were never Fell."

I smiled shyly, "I was born Alva. Fell was my brother."

A small smile tugged the corners of his mouth, "Well, Alva, I hope that a night in the dungeon has taught you to never dare to lie to me again, but you must be hungry. Have you eaten?"

I shook my head in reply.

"Run quickly down to the kitchens and come straight back here after. Do not think that I will treat you any differently now, you will still have the same duties as before."

I smiled, "I was hoping for that, trust me."

Knowing that I was dismissed, I bowed quickly and darted out of the door, relief threatening to burst out of me.