Chapter Nineteen

His rage was vicious.

He couldn't remember the last time he had felt the same boiling, savage, untameable fury that he did now. It filled every inch of his body, blocking out all rational thought from his mind and turning him into the ruthless beast he knew he was born to be.

For almost a century he had been trying to keep his wrath at bay, to keep from reverting to his old ways, but now there was no stopping it. He couldn't even if he tried.

Prince Loki was gone, and the God of Mischief was back.

He wasn't sure how long he spent searching the palace for Fiske, his mind was too filled with the blind rage that he knew would be his undoing. There was no knowing what he would do when he found him, but he would avenge Alva, even if it meant risking his own life.

He first searched the library where he had last seen Fiske, but to no avail, and so moved on in a hunt around the palace until eventually, he found himself standing at the entrance to the training grounds. He scanned the surprisingly busy arena, his gaze finally fixing on his target, standing in the centre of the ring and talking happily with Fandral. The two of them had always been close friends.

A new wave of hot fury washed through him at the sight of the man who had hurt her, and it took all of his willpower to stop from running forward and ripping his head from his shoulders. His rational side, dimmed but still audible, told him to go and find Alva, to comfort her after all she had been through, but the monster wanted vengeance, and there was no way of stopping it.

Taking a deep breath to stabilize his venom, he stepped from the shadows into the arena, his dark eyes fixed on his prey.

"Fiske!" Loki snarled as he approached. All who were nearby immediately halted in their actions, turning to watch the prince as he stalked into the training ring.

The captain spun around at the sound of his name, his face instantly paling when he realized who was advancing, but easily masking his apprehension with a bright smile.

"Ah, Prince Loki, I had a feeling I would see you again soon."

Loki approached so that he was only a foot away from Fiske, baring his teeth in a snarl.

"I always knew that you were an immoral, depraved swine but you've honestly out done yourself this time." Loki growled in a low tone.

Fiske squinted his eyes in suspicion, shifting his weight in the first sign of discomfort, "My Lord?"

Loki's temper was reaching breaking point, and he couldn't stop his voice from rising in volume, "How dare you take advantage of an innocent girl?"

A hint of panic crept into Fiske's eyes, but other than that his false expression of confusion did not waver, "I'm not sure I take your meaning."

"Don't insult me by trying to lie to me, you disgusting creature, she told me everything." He barked. By this point, almost everyone in the arena had stopped to watch the confrontation, but Loki paid them no notice - his fury was too fixed on his target.

Finally, realizing that he had nothing to hide now, Fiske's mask fell and he smiled wickedly, "Oh, did she now? And what is it to you?"

"She's my brother's property, you had no right to touch her!"

Fiske chuckled under his breath, only adding fuel to Loki's fire, "I see, and you're here to defend her honour, are you?" He mocked, rubbing his jaw thoughtfully.

Loki smiled maliciously, lowering his voice, "Yes, I am. I challenge you, Fiske, to the death."

Shock flashed in Fiske's eyes, and he hesitated a moment before laughing again, "This really has got you in a twist, hasn't it? Over a little slut like her, I'm surprised."