Chapter Fifteen

The door to Thor and Jane's bedchamber was closed when I entered their chambers, informing me that they were still asleep. Fortunately, the ever faithful Vall was awake to greet me, and jumped up from his bed by the fire to run to me, sitting at my feet to let me stroke and pet him.

As soon as I felt my fingers dig into his silky fur I almost instantly relaxed. It was barely after dawn and yet I had already experienced more than enough stress than I could handle but with Vall sitting happily at my feet, I felt more at ease than I had in weeks. He always had this effect on me: every time I felt distressed or lonely I would come to find Vall and he would always be more than happy to help in making me smile.

For the next half and hour Vall and I sat together on the soft leather sofa, watching the sun rise over the sleeping city. He slept peacefully beside me, his heavy head resting on my lap and snoring gently. I smiled down at the slumbering beast as I slowly stroked his golden hair, sighing contentedly and feeling utterly at ease. Here, in this room, I was safe; protected and hidden from danger. Even though I knew that at some point today I would be alone and vulnerable, right now I was happy.

A muffled sound of movement from the bedchamber caused me to glance up just as Thor stepped out, dressed in a wrinkled tunic and baggy trousers and looking absolutely exhausted, as per usual in the mornings. As if sensing his presence, Vall instantly woke beside me, his ears pricking up with interest, and jumped down to greet his master. Thor grinned as he crouched to embrace his faithful companion, finally noticing me when I stood from the sofa.

"Ah, Alva. You're here early," he commented, straightening up and rubbing a hand over his tired face.

I cleared my throat and smiled shyly, "Yes, sorry. I- um, I had trouble sleeping."

Thor frowned in concern, "Are you feeling unwell?"

Shaking my head enigmatically, I smiled reassuringly, "Oh no, I'm fine, honestly."

He nodded, although he didn't look entirely convinced. "Have you had breakfast?" He asked suspiciously.

"Yes, my Lord," I lied.

Seemingly satisfied, he rubbed his hands together merrily, "Good. Well, I'm afraid that you won't be able to attend training this morning."

I frowned in confusion, "My lord?"

He laughed at my expression and waved a hand dismissively, "Jane will explain. Jane? Alva's here," he called back to his bedchamber, and after a few moments Jane emerged with a bright smile, obviously in a good mood.

"Morning, Alva!"

I grinned back at her, bowing slightly, "Good morning, my Lady." I stopped when she gave me a stern look, laughing as I corrected myself, "I mean, good morning, Jane."

She laughed, "That's better. Now, how would you feel about spending the day with me instead of hanging around with a bunch of brutes?"

Thor made a face of protest at her harsh teasing, but she simply giggled and elbowed him lightly in the ribs.

I was a little surprised by her proposition, but was in no way against the idea, "With you? I would be delighted. What are we doing?"

Jane looked as if she might burst with excitement as her face split into a huge smile, "Shopping!" She announced eagerly, while I stared at her bemusedly.

"Shopping?"

"Yes, shopping."

I titled my head to the side in confusion, "What's that?"

Thor interjected here, clearing his throat and lowering his voice, "A popular Midgardian pass-time involving wasting a lot of time and money, I believe."