not quite enemies, not quite allies

All those preparations, and still Lisa ended up hiding in a closet with Jennie Kim.

"Hi," Jennie breathed, her teeth bright in the darkness. The air was too hot and too close already, the heatwave draping itself over New York only getting bolder with every evening, but now it smelt of nothing but rose water and Lisa couldn't breathe in without Jennie's hand brushing her stomach, or her arm catching across the front of Lisa's dress.

Outside, footsteps thudded down the hotel corridor. More than two, at least; the tread heavy and unhurried but muffled by the carpet. The closet doors were as thick the floor, outlined thinly in dull light, and all this solid wood was apparently just for show as there was nothing in there but them, no coats or towels or anything to swallow up sound. Any thump would sound out clear and terminally revealing.

Jennie shifted, did something that made her trousers rustle, and Lisa snatched at whatever part of Jennie was closest.

"Relax," Jennie whispered, drawing it out like she was smiling. Lisa tightened her grip on Jennie's wrist. "I was just getting comfortable."

Lisa pressed her lips together. The footsteps were still there, still quiet-either already past the door to their room or possibly going back the same way. Not close enough to hear, surely.

She turned her face towards Jennie, her eyes adjusted enough to the darkness to catch the contours of her cheek, the line of her jaw. She was closer than she needed to be. "What are you doing here?" Lisa murmured, low and clipped.

"Looking for something, of course," Jennie said, quietly, casually sing-song, and then, "Oh my, you don't think we're after the same thing, do you?" Jennie gasped, bright and pleased and still only just above a whisper. "How fun! We could look together."

Lisa was still holding onto Jennie's wrist, her pulse jumping under her fingertips. Jennie's palm was pressing silk against her hip and her skin was prickling in the heat, flushed with the kind of awareness of her own body that always made her uncomfortable. She dropped Jennie's wrist, resisted the urge to wipe her hand across her forehead because her elbow would knock against the side, and ignored the way Jennie's hand had only fallen as far as her thigh.

"I don't recall," Lisa started, and grimaced for a beat as she tried to shift away, find room to breathe, her dress snagging at the wood grain against her back. "Anything good ever coming from your help."

"Oh Lis, that hurts," Jennie murmured, tilting her chin down, close enough that Lisa could feel her exhale brushing past her neck. "It's an awful big room out there, and goodness knows how much time we have. I promise I'll share-"

"Shh!" Lisa snapped, as something creaked; her world so narrowed in the darkness that she couldn't tell if it was a floorboard or a door hinge. They both, Lisa realised after a long, silent moment, were holding their breath.

"Jumpy, aren't we?" Jennie eventually whispered.

Lisa lifted her jaw, and unclenched her hands. "This floor is off-limits. If they suspect anyone is in here-"

"We'll take care of them," Jennie said, her voice edged bright and flirty. Her fingertips were drawing circles over Lisa's dress, almost absent-minded as they traced down her thigh-and then they caught the edge of her holster, and Lisa's skin abruptly stopped tingling.

"No," Lisa snapped, finding the glint of Jennie's eyes in the darkness. She looked amused. "The last thing I want is a trail of destruction announcing that we were here."

"Is that why you pulled me in here? Gosh, I just thought you wanted to chat," Jennie whispered, swaying a breath closer, a breeze ghosting over Lisa's lips.