raspberry kisses

The kitchen smells delightfully sweet when Lisa steps in. She spots her girlfriend hunched over the counter, her brow sweaty and knitted with concentration as she furiously stirs something creamy and chocolatey into a bowl. She's already drooling as she excitedly walks up behind Jennie, wrapping her arms around her waist in a hug.

"Oh my god, that smell," she moans, propping her chin onto Jennie's shoulder and eyeing the mixture with wide, hungry eyes.

Jennie huffs out a laugh, cracking an egg on the edge of the glass bowl. Lisa makes a keening noise as the yolk drops into the smooth chocolate mix. "Knew you'd like it," she mutters, grabbing a wooden spoon to stir it in.

She has no idea what it is exactly, but it looks creamy and chocolatey and has bright, plump raspberries mixed in, and that's more than enough to make her mouth water and rumble her stomach. (Even though she ate less than an hour ago. Whatever.)

"What is it?" inquires Lisa, leaning forward to swipe her finger swiftly into the bowl, popping it between her lips noisily.

She was right; lots of chocolate, along with a sour tang of fresh raspberries. It melts against her tongue like warm butter, and she's already dipping her finger in again when Jennie softly takes a hold of her wrist.

"No," she tuts, shaking her head. "Knowing you-which I do, by the way-you'll eat the whole thing," she claims, with her pretty pink lips curled into a fond smile. Lisa pouts, defeatedly withdrawing her hand back to Jennie's waist. "And it's raspberry brownies. New recipe that I'm trying out."

Lisa's mouth waters. She turns her head to press a loud, smacking kiss to Jennie's cheek, getting a mouthful of flour instead, thanks to the patch on Jennie's cheek. Oh well. "I love you, I love you, know me so well," she breathes out, kissing her just below her ear. "Marry me, seriously." Another big, sloppy kiss; this time to her neck.

Jennie laughs again, a light, airy sound that warms the kitchen. She drops the spoon back into the bowl and swivels around, meeting Lisa's lips for a brief moment. Their lips mould together perfectly, just like they always do. Jennie tastes sweeter than honey, her lips soft and warm. "Love you too, babe," she says, turning back around to sprinkle extra sugar into the bowl.

"When are they gonna be ready?"

"Not for a while, sorry. Still gotta cook in the oven for, like, twenty minutes."

"Awww," Lisa drawls. "Can I help at all? To, uh, you know, speed up the process?"

Jennie hums thoughtfully. "You could get me the brownie tin. And preheat the oven to 180 degrees."

Lisa nods, determinedly crossing the tiled floor and crouching in front of the cupboards, flinging them open. She pauses for a short moment, scanning the shelves, before plucking out the metal tin. Then, she turns the knobs on the oven. It beeps successfully, and she hands the metal tin to Jennie.

Jennie pours the brownie mixture into the tin. The thick, creamy batter overlaps as it evens out and fills each corner of the tin, the raspberries poking out of the glossy top. Lisa helps Jennie delicately place the last few berries on top, and then Jennie pops her oven mitts to slide the tray into the preheated oven. She sets a timer for twenty minutes, much to Lisa's dismay, and starts stacking the dirty dishes into the sink.

-

"This is why I hate baking!" complains Lisa gruffly, not even ten minutes later, angrily scrubbing at the bowl as it bobs in the soapy water. Droplets of hot water splash from out of the sink, wetting her clothes and the wall. "Stupid, stupid cleaning," she murmurs, scratching the last bits of dried chocolate off the bowl with a blunt fingernail.