as long as i have you, i'm home (part 1)

a long long long oneshot!

-

It had started the same way it had ended, and Jennie could recognize the sick, twisted poetry in that. She could recognize it and then she could allow herself to pour another glass of wine because even if it was symmetrical and poetic, it was also fucking heartbreaking.

It had started with the slamming of a door and it had ended with one. A different door in a completely different place, with a completely different outcome.

The first slamming door, the door to her Constitutional Law class, had brought Lisa Manoban into her life. The final slamming door was the one to their small but quaint D.C. apartment, which had taken Lisa Manoban out of her life.

One door brought her love, the other door brought her heartbreak, but both were shut, just like the matter of her marriage to Lisa Manoban.

Shut, done, over, ended.

...

Lisa cringed as soon as the door slammed behind her. She waved awkwardly and apologetically toward the professor at the front of the room before scrambling toward the nearest empty seat. She ignored the glare she could feel the professor sending her way and instead dug through her bag for the insanely expensive book on trauma's effect on the human body.

"He's just going over the syllabus today, right?" Lisa whispered, slowly turning her head to look at-

The most beautiful woman she'd ever seen was sitting next to her, focused on the professor and not Lisa's lack of composure. One glance was all it took. One glance at the woman's dark hair and sharp jawline and soft smile and Lisa knew that she'd just met her wife.

"Page three," the woman whispered back, not sparing Lisa a second glance as she took notes in the margin of her syllabus.

"Of the... syllabus or the book?" Lisa asked, fighting off the insane urge to reach out and take this stranger's hand.

"Syllabus. He's going over the requirements for the History of Law project."

"Oh..." Lisa faltered, looking at the book in front of her and feeling her brow furrow. This was definitely not the class on trauma in the body. "Cool. Great."

"It's only fifteen percent of the grade. The midterm is what you should look out for," the woman said as her pen glided across the page, her eyes still on the professor.

"Thanks, you're a lifesaver," Lisa grinned, leaning back in her seat and officially deciding that she could move her schedule around and take the trauma class next semester.

"Now look next to you, that's your partner for the project. Introduce yourselves. Ten seconds and I start the lecture on the branches of government," the professor said in his gruff voice.

Capping her pen, Jennie finally looked to her right and felt her breath get lodged in her throat. She was completely caught in the tide of two warm brown eyes and an easy smile, and suddenly, she had never felt so relaxed in a classroom in all of her life. Those eyes felt like coming home.

"Hi, I'm Jennie," she heard herself saying, somehow able to form words as her heart raced and her entire existence became inexplicably tethered to the woman sitting next to her.

"I'm yours-LISA! I'm Lisa. Sorry," Lisa blurted out, considering yanking the front of her sweatshirt up and over her face.

Jennie felt her brows lift in surprise at the stumbled over words. A chuckle left her lips when Lisa blushed and averted her gaze, suddenly becoming the most endearing and interesting person Jennie had ever met.