i got faith in you and i (so put your pretty little hand in mine)

In the late hours of the night, the moonlight glistens on the unending tenebrosity that surrounds the room. The dim light masks their bedroom in different shades of darkness, enveloping Jennie and her sleeping figure that reminds Lisa of old black and white movies, stirring up a weird sense of comfort in her. The quiet sound of crickets hidden in the shadows and Lisa's heartbeat thundering through her ears make an odd, yet alluring combination; it's both peaceful and soothing. Strangely enough, Lisa's mind is anything but.

At this very moment, Jennie is so stunning, sleeping next to her with a beam of moonlight falling across her face, illuminating one side and throwing lengthy shadows on the other. She has the appearance of glazed porcelain and preserved glass. She is a sculptor's rendition of a person, not a living being herself. She couldn't be real, Lisa reasons. A woman composed of flesh and bone could not be so flawlessly beautiful.

Lisa tries her best to commit every detail of Jennie into her memory because even after years and years of spending every second with the woman, it never seemed to be enough for her. (Lisa's mental image of Jennie from years and years of both blatant and discreet staring will never ever hold a candle to the real thing.)

A fond smile absentmindedly threads Lisa's lips as she watches her girlfriend sleep. The term seems so diminutive. Girlfriends. It feels like a word used to describe the person she had gone on three dates with before kissing them on their doorway and clumsily asking to be something more. It feels like a word used to describe the person whose texts she would look forward to in anxious excitement as she tries her best to not embarrass herself. It didn't seem like the word she would use to describe someone she had loved without a shadow of a doubt for the past seven years of her life. It didn't appear to be the best way to portray how much they had devoted to one another and how far they had gone.

"Darling, you're thinking too loud." A gravelly voice, rough with sleep, interrupts Lisa's musings. In the next second, the younger woman finds herself staring into Jennie's feline orbs that were alarmingly clear of haze for someone who had just woken up. Lisa often feels her breath hitch every time she stares into the dark abyss that were Jennie's eyes; it's almost like a blackhole, and Lisa thinks that if the void was as beautiful as this, then she'll gladly let herself get sucked into the unknown. She couldn't help it, everything about this woman makes her feel breathless. (Seven years later, she is still catching her breath.)

Jennie knows her like the back of her hand, or how she knows how to breathe or blink or everything involuntary the human body does. She just knows. And so with a small smile, she reaches a hand to rest on the younger's cheek as she whispers, "I love you."

Lisa automatically responds with an "I love you, too," because it's the most sensible thing to say by now. Lisa knows she's unconditionally, and irrevocably in love with Jennie like how she knows that the sky is blue or that grass is green or every natural occurring thing in the world. She just knows. And so matching Jennie's smile, she leans into the woman's touch as she repeats, "I love you."

At this point, she had said the sentence so many times that it felt like an instinct. She wakes up carrying the weight of those three words - words that signify the tears they've shed, the sacrifices, the memories, the affection, and the happiness they've brought onto their lives.

For Lisa, words were always difficult to find, but then Jennie came in and her life became a whirlwind of hushed conversations in the middle of the night, inevitable confrontations, soothing communications, and sentimental poetry. Poetry, as Lisa surprisingly finds out, is the easiest way to show Jennie just how much she feels for her. There will always be something enchanting about using expressions and metaphors and words in revealing the most intimate parts of herself to Jennie.