and i know she'll be the death of me

This is how it starts: with a pretty girl who smells like leather and an expensive woodsy perfume that makes Lisa's head spin, sitting warm and comfortable in her lap. Lisa noses close to the source, the tip of her nose ghosting along the sharp edge of Jennie's jaw. Jennie shivers in her arms, and it probably shouldn't be as thrilling as it is.

Well. It definitely shouldn't be. Because they're friends-best friends. They have been for going on... Jesus, five years now. All they've ever been is friends, and they like it that way. It's safer that way. Dating a friend-that's messy. Dating someone period could be messy, and neither of them would ever do anything to jeopardize that. It's just not worth it.

Not that Jennie had ever even been open to that possibility anyway. Lisa's always been certain that Jennie is like, miles out of her league. And yeah, maybe sometimes Lisa's heart skips or her stomach pleasantly fills with heat when she's around her-Jennie is the most beautiful woman she's ever seen, and she has this commanding presence with the secret softest heart and really, who wouldn't feel unbalanced around her? She's an incredible person, and Lisa is lucky merely to exist in her orbit. But there's nothing abnormal about any of that. Friends can feel that way about other friends.

She just adores Jennie. Loves her big heart and her wit, her dry sense of humor and the way she can communicate so much with the smallest micro-expressions. She loves how talented but humble Jennie is, how much she cares.

How to everyone else, she's so stoic-cold, even. Always with an inscrutable expression, barely even ever a smile let alone a laugh. But with Lisa, she just seems to melt. It means the world to Lisa that Jennie feels comfortable enough around her to do that.

Lisa sighs, content as she nuzzles into the warm crook of Jennie's neck. They've been here for a few hours now, and the handful of beers Lisa downed have settled in her blood; she's pleasantly buzzed, and so grateful Jennie didn't hesitate to come out with her tonight. It was a rough day at work, but Jennie makes everything better.

"Hey, you want another drink?"

Lisa pauses, reluctantly drawing her head back from its comfortable resting spot to glance at her glass. It is empty, and she does want another, but she also doesn't want Jennie to budge an inch because she's so comfortable.

And by the slightest little uptick of Jennie's lips, she knows that.

"I'll be right back," she says, growing even more amused when Lisa gives a throaty whine and tightens her arms around her. She melts and relaxes when full, pouty lips press against her forehead, and Jennie sweeps her hand through Lisa's hair. "Wait here."

Lisa sighs but smiles as Jennie untangles herself from her lap and shoots her a smile before walking off. Lisa leans back in her chair, watching her go. It takes her a minute to realize Jisoo is staring at her. Deadpan and pointedly.

"What?"

"You realize that you and Jennie are dating. Right? Like, tell me you realize that."

Lisa barks a laugh, shaking her head as she swirls her glass and sips at the melted ice. "You know we're not."

"You should be. It's honestly ridiculous."

"We're best friends, you know that."

"I don't hang all over my best friends like that."

"Not everyone keeps their best friend at arm's distance. We're just affectionate." Lisa shrugs. "Why is that always immediately seen as romantic?"

Jisoo scoffs. "Please. You have it so bad."

"Have what bad?" Lisa says absently, distractedly looking up when Jennie comes back into view as she reaches the bar.

"Your gigantic gay crush on Jennie, obviously. And you'd think it would be more pathetic if this was unrequited pining, but no," Jisoo steamrolls on. "You can see her heart eyes when she looks at you from a mile away."