Chapter Thirty: Old Habits Die Hard

Start from the beginning

Jungkook hadn't expected this to happen. He hadn't expected to go as far as he did with Yuri, and even less to have Raine catch them. He was angry at her and had had one too many drinks with the woman, but he still felt the need to explain to Raine what she had walked into. He knew how bad it looked, but he wasn't like her. She was the one that betrayed him and he would make that very clear.

He tried to step toward her once more, but again she backed away. Raine's heart was being ripped to shreds, and she needed him to get away from her. She wasn't sure she could keep talking herself out of putting her hands on him.

"You two deserve each other." With that, Raine turned on her heel and hurried to her room, hoping that the tremors in her legs wouldn't betray her and cause her to fall.

"Suitcase. Suitcase." Her voice shook as she paced the room, trying to remember where she had put it when she moved into the apartment. Her mind drew a blank, with all the jumbled thoughts swimming through her head at once.

She checked under the bed. No suitcase. In the closet. Nothing. But she couldn't waste any more time. If she couldn't find her suitcase, she'd just have to improvise. She rushed out of her room, passing Yuri, who was on her way out the door. She ignored her presence and proceeded to pull black trash bags out of the cabinets.

Something that she hadn't noticed when she first walked in now caught her eye. A bottle of liquor on the kitchen counter. A bottle she knew had been more than half full and put away in the cabinet over the stove, now sat emptied to the last drop.

Old habits die hard.

It seemed she had given Jungkook too much credit. Everyone was right about him. Everyone except her. Nothing about him was better, even though she tried to prove it differently to the people around them.

Jungkook was still a piece of shit and he would always be a piece of shit.

Deep down Raine always knew Jungkook could destroy her and as much as she claimed she wouldnt allow someone to hurt her again. She gave him all the power to do so.

On her way back to her room Jungkook tried to grab her arm, but she pulled it away roughly, pushing him off in the process. "Don't touch me!" The stagger in his step and how long it took him to pull away from the wall she shoved him into, told her everything she needed to know. He was drunk off his ass and the Jungkook she knew made his greatest decisions under the influence.

Raine opened her drawers, dumping handfuls of clothes into the trash bag. She had no idea where she would go, but she knew she couldn't stay there. So as long as she got the hell out of dodge, the details could be figured out later on.

Jungkook came in and pulled the bag out of her hands. He didn't understand why, after what she'd done, but in his inebriated state he seemed to be stuck in a clusterfuck of emotions.

His thought process was impaired by the vodka coursing through him and his impulses were taking over. The pain in his chest since seeing her with Daehyun had magnified to an unbearable level. All those flutters that he once felt for her were now replaced by a piercing pain that he couldn't seem to numb no matter how much alcohol he had consumed.

He wanted to scream at her for what she had done behind his back. Jungkook wanted her to understand that this was her fault. All of it was a direct result of the lies she'd told him.

Yet, the broken look in her eyes and the way she was frantically trying to pack her things brought forth in him a sense of worry that confused him. He wondered why he cared so much about what she thought. She was the one that fucked everything up in the first place.

Raine ignored his attempt to stop her and opened another bag to continue packing.

"Stop!" Jungkook pulled that bag out of her hand as well.