Chapter Thirty One: Empty

Jungkook ignored the first set of taps on his desk. The second came a lot louder, and he had no choice but to raise his head.

"Class was dismissed five minutes ago, Mr. Jeon."

That arrogant piece of shit dared to address him after all the trouble he'd caused. The only reason Jungkook even showed up to this class was in hopes that Raine would be there, but she had now missed numerous days of school.

Jungkook spent his days at home, praying to a God he wasn't even sure he believed in anymore, to bring her back to him. To bring him back his Raine, because like her namesake, she cleansed him and soothed him. She drowned out the noise that constantly berated his mind and replaced it with the soothing pitter-patter of her voice. He was carefree with her. As carefree as dancing in the rain and kissing in it. She was his peace.

Now that was gone. It was replaced by the deafening silence in their apartment and the beer bottles that littered their bedroom floor. He couldn't eat, and barely slept, he just dialed her number over and over, praying she would pick up.

She never did.

Raine wasn't returning any of his texts, either. If it wasn't because he called Taehyung to confirm she was okay, he wouldn't have known a thing. Taehyung was at least talking to him again, but he asked Jungkook not to ask about Raine or try to convince him he hadn't cheated on her as he claimed he didn't want to get involved. It didn't stop Jungkook from trying to explain.

"If you're going to come to school, the least you could do is stay awake." Daehyun held Jungkook's hateful stare. He noted that Jungkook looked worse for wear. His eyes were dark and sunken, his hair didn't seem to have been washed or brushed, for that matter, and overall, he looked miserable and exhausted. "What the hell are you so upset about, Jeon? You won."

Familiar rage roared through Jungkook. All he wanted was to beat down the man that had ruined the only good thing he had in his life. "Won what? It wasn't a fucking game. Do you see her here with me?" Jungkook scoffed and rose from his chair.

"Ah, so she didn't drop my class for you. She dropped it because of you." Daehyun snickered and started down the steps. "I'm going to assume you fucked up? Raine only runs and hides when she's heartbroken. Believe me." He sat on the edge of his desk when he got to the bottom and shrugged nonchalantly. "I would know."

Jungkook tried to act unaffected by the knowledge that she had dropped the class, but he couldn't ignore how his heartache intensified. That meant she didn't want to see him again and wanted to avoid him at all costs.

Jungkook made it to the bottom of the steps. "Yeah. Thanks to you."

"Thanks to me?" Daehyun chuckled. "Last I spoke to her, Raine was confessing her undying love for you. And I was letting her go to you."

"Letting her?" Jungkook craned his neck forward just in case he hadn't heard the demon correctly.

"Yes, letting. Believe me, if it had been up to me, I would have fought tooth and nail for the woman. I had every intention to. But I let her go because I wasn't going to chase her if she would always be running to you." Daehyun waited for a response from Jungkook, but it appeared he had lost all the fight in him. That only seemed to feed Daehyuns ego. "It's debilitating, isn't it?"

"What is?"

He sent a mocking grin Jungkooks way. "Losing her."

A knock on the door interrupted them, and they both turned to find Yuri. She refused to look at Jungkook, instead keeping her eyes trained on Daehyun. "Can we talk?"

Jungkook could have laughed if he didn't feel so dead inside. Yuri felt guilty and obviously didn't want Daehyun to know the truth. Or she wouldn't be acting like she didn't even see Jungkook.