9. One Chance

CHAPTER 9 | ONE CHANCE
NYX MANSON

"YOUR FATHER COULD have gotten you a penthouse in the city, so why choose to live here?" Lorenzo asks as we pull up in front of my building.

In this part of the city, some of the middle-class workers and families live here. There are a few low time thugs running things here and there, and a few calls to the police have been, but it is genuinely not bad of a neighbourhood, and the calls are never for something as gruesome as assault or murder.

"I chose to live here. I have lived in the upper class for the most part of my life. I chose to live here because I wanted to be humbled for a few years. I have had everything given to me, so I decided to step out and try to do things on my own," I put it with a slight shrug of my shoulders.

With a father like mine, I was spoon-fed the moment I became a Manson. Everything I've ever wanted and so much more was handed to me on a shiny, golden platter.

I am my father's little cinnamon bun, so I'm the spoilt brat, and because I'm the spoilt one, Jessica, my adopted sister, hates me with every part of her soul. I always had our father's attention, and she tried hard to he the golden daughter.

She was the first captain of the cheer squad to be fifteen when she was chosen for the spot, and she stayed there for three years. She led the team to the championships and won twice and came second once. She also did gymnastics while being a cheerleader and won countless gold medals.

Our father was proud, but not as proud as he was of me. On top of being a genius with technology, I was a super athlete. I tried every sport I could, and I actually did well. I excelled in places like karate, mixed martial arts, judo, swimming, athletics, tennis, archery, golf, and ballet. I did everything I could from the age of seven, but I stopped most of it once I graduated from MIT.

"It's not safe here," Vincenzo says coldly, but I give zero damns.

I like it here, and I've never felt unsafe whenever I'm outside, so there's no point in moving somewhere else, especially not for his sake. "I need to get you a new place," he mutters to himself while looking around the area through the car window. His nose scrunches up with disgust, and I scoff.

Snobby scum.

"You will do no such thing," I grit through clenched teeth.

He brings his gaze to me and coldly states, "it's not safe for you."

"Well, live with it, Vincenzo," I spit while sliding across the seat and closer to the car door. I pull his gun out from my skirt and toss it into his lap. Before he can utter another word, I pull the door handle back and climb out of the car. He calls for me to come back, but I keep walking.

It's not a big deal. He is being dramatic. This place is just fine, and moving out right now sounds like a lot of work.

I feel a hand on my shoulder, making me stop, and I turn my head back to look at the owner of the hand. His empty hazel eyes stare down into my eyes, and for the first time, I see some emotion in them.

"You know my brother is trying, right?" The worried, saddened look in Lorenzo's eyes is masked with fake happiness. "He likes you, and he's trying."