Chapter 45 | Best Friend

NYX MANSON

VINCENZO SOFTLY KISSES my collarbone, heat rushing through my body. He lifts his head and smirks down at me.

“Nyx Martinelli,” he tests the name on his tongue, and I smile up at him. “Can’t wait to see you walk down the aisle,” he whispers.

Vincenzo leans his head down to kiss my lips, but the doors of the ballroom bursting open pulls his attention away from me.

He lifts me up and pushes me behind his back, using his body to shield me. Men with semi machine guns flood into the room, and my heart rate begins to pick up.

Bodies begin to drop as the men unleash rounds after rounds on our guests, none of them aiming for my family, though.

My jaw clenches when Paula strides into the ballroom. She smiles wickedly as she stands at the top of the staircase. The men around the room cease fire, leaving a smell of metal and gunpowder in the air.

I should’ve killed that bitch when I had the chance.

I step out from Vincenzo’s back and her eyes come down to me. “There you are,” she laughs while pulling a gun out from her side.

She aims at my head and lower my hand to my thigh, slowly taking a hold of my gun. “Die bitch,” she hisses and I pull my gun out.

She pulls the trigger. Vincenzo steps in the way of her shot. I turn to my soon to be husband who is an absolute idiot.

“Vincenzo!” I shout.

He laughs. “It’s just a graze, my love.” He points to his shoulder. “I’m fine, I’ve been through worse,” he says as he attempts to ease the worry scribbled all over my face.

Paula is a dead woman.

I turn around and lift my gun. “You bitch,” I spit.

“I wouldn’t do that,” a low Russian tone gets my attention just as I was about to pull the trigger. “You’re beautiful woman and I’m hoping you’re smart, too.”

A blond man walks past me and winks as he makes his way to the stairs. I slowly shift my gun in his direction, but the men stood around the room with machine guns aim at me.

“My accent slipped at the wrong time,” he chuckles. “I was hoping you wouldn’t notice.”

He walks up the stairs and Paula smiles widely as she throws her arms around his shoulders.

“Don’t even think about it Nyx. You shoot and the men will kill your family, Paolo included,” Paula spits.

I lift my gun. “That’s your child!” I shout as my hands shake, unable to keep the gun steady.

She smirks. “Pull the damn trigger and see what happens, you bitch” she challenges.

Unwillingly, I drop my gun at my feet and kick it forward. I lower my arms and she smiles as she sees that she has me cornered.

“She’s an obedient one,” the Russian man laughs while shifting his gaze to Vincenzo.

“And you have a reckless one,” he responds, referring to Paula. “Where is your brother? Does he know of the trouble you’re causing right now?”