Twenty-nine

Felix was no longer thinking about all of the things that made him feel horrible. He was happy when he was with Warren. It was a good thing. He just didn't to become dependent on him. Felix reminded himself that he needed to work on himself, too. Warren was certainly helping him feel better, but if he was going to be truly happy, he had a feeling he was going to have to work that out independently.

Warren noticed that Felix's eyes had lightened. They seemed warmer, now, too. That made Warren's heartrate slow down a little. The tight feeling that he had previously had in his chest was easing.

"Life is easier, when you're here," Felix said absentmindedly.

The two boys had relocated to Warren's bedroom, where they were now studying.

When the corner of Warren's lips lifted into a smile, Felix found himself smiling back at him. He couldn't help it.

The two of them had been 'studying' for a while and it the past two hours had consisted of talk and laughter.

Felix's own laugh was still a foreign sound to him, but he supposed he would get used to it with time. It was a good thing.

"You're amazing," Felix said.

"I'm just Warren," Warren replied.

Felix shook his head.

"No, no. You don't understand. You're amazing because you're you. You're my best friend. Honestly, you're my truest friend," Felix said. "And I don't know if I'll ever understand why you stick around me...just know that I appreciate it, so damn much," he continued and then spread his arms wide to emphasise how much he meant those words.

"I'm not going anywhere," Warren said. "Your smile is my favourite."

At that comment, Felix's lips curled upwards again.

"Well, your eyes are the kindest I have ever known," Felix replied.

Warren's eyes warmed, then. They reflected how he felt so easily.

Felix gazed at Warren for a moment, then. He wasn't quite sure how to stop.

"You're great!" Warren said energetically.

"You are!" Felix said. "Even though we've done absolutely no studying whatsoever, really, these have been the best couple of hours of my day."

"Really?" Warren asked and the pitch of his voice heightened. He cleared his throat. "I mean-"

Felix chuckled.

"Yes," Felix said.

Warren rubbed the back of his neck in a little nervous motion.

Felix reached out and moved the hair out of Warren's eyes. He shuffled a little closer to Warren, so they were now inches from each other.

"I need a haircut," Warren said, which caused Felix to smile.

Warren's teeth gently grazed his lip as he looked towards his papers. He was suddenly aware of his breathing. In all honesty, he was suddenly aware of everything.

"How are you feeling?" Felix asked him. From the expression on Warren's face, he had an idea that he had a lot on his mind.

In response, Warren shook his head a little.

"I'm doing better," he said and adjusted the collar of his shirt. It was getting hotter in his room, but at this point he wasn't too certain of whether that was due to him or the weather.

"You have a pool, right?" Felix asked him.

Warren nodded.

"You want to go for a swim?" suggested Felix.

"Yeah," Warren said.

They left their textbooks and notebooks behind in Warren's bedroom, as they made their way outside and into the back garden.

Once they were there, Felix took off his shirt, shoes and socks and jumped into the water. He could change later.

"Come on. This water is so cold. It's so nice," Felix said, before he submerged his head in it, causing his hair to become shinier from the water. He ran his hands through his hair and Warren was mesmerized by everything that he was doing. Somebody swimming had never been so interesting in all of history. Warren noticed how the water droplets had pooled in Felix's collarbones. He noticed the way a dimple formed as he did his heart-breaking side smile.

Warren took a deep breath and readied himself before jumping into the pool, splashing Felix in the process.

"I'm an idiot," Felix said, as Warren swam closer to him.

When Warren met him with an expression of curiosity, Felix went on to explain.

"We've been going to the same school for years and I can't believe I only met you this year. I should have spoken to you, or something. I did notice you," he said. "I noticed when those dickheads did shit to you and I- I should have done something. God."

The thought of anyone hurting Warren now made Felix want to hurt the person who could think to do such a nasty thing.

Warren moved a little closer to Felix and gave a shake of his head.

"It's alright," he said, as his leg knocked against Felix's in the water. Warren gave a shrug of his shoulders. "It happened a long time ago. It's not important anymore." Warren held his hand palm up in front of him. "Let's make an agreement to look out for each other from this moment forward?" he suggested.

Felix raised his palm up and pressed it against Warren's.

"It's a deal," Felix said.

"Good," Warren replied and then grinned, before he splashed Felix with a load of water.

As he swiftly swam away from Felix, he chuckled.

"Oh! I'm going to get you back for that!" Felix said and rushed over to Warren to splash him, too.

They spent around an hour in the water before they got tired and made their way out.

Warren walked over to a lounge chair and Felix went to sit beside him on the same chair. It was a bold move, on his part, but he didn't care anymore.