EIGHT | FATHERS AND SUNSETS

CELIA WOKE FROM HER SLUMBER, SHE LOOKED AROUND THE ROOM BUT NO ONE WAS THERE

CELIA WOKE FROM HER SLUMBER, SHE LOOKED AROUND THE ROOM BUT NO ONE WAS THERE. Then it dawned on her that today is visiting day. She shivered, scared that her dad would show up. She got up and got dressed, rushing to get it over with. When she got down there everyone was surrounding Eric.

"Attention," he called out. "I want to give you some advice about today. If by some miracle your families do come to visit you," he made eye contact with Celia as he said it. "...which I doubt, it is best to not seem attached. That will make it easier for you and them. We also take the phrase 'faction before blood' very seriously here. Attachment to your family suggests you aren't entirely pleased with your faction, which would be shameful. Understand?" He ranted.

He glanced at all of their faces before moving out of the way, letting them into the pit. Celia was last to enter, not excited that she might see her father. She looked around, not seeing him. She inwardly celebrated. She also saw Will with a girl dressed in blue who didn't look old enough to be his mother. When he saw her staring he waved his hand, signaling for her to come over.

"Celia, this is my sister, Cara. Cara, this is my friend Celia," he introduced the two. They smiled at each other and shook hands.

"It's nice to meet you," Cara said, removing her hand.

"You too," Celia glanced at Will.

"So, where's your family?" Cara asked.

"Not here, thankfully," Will sent her a weird look at that. He knew who her father was. Celia prayed he wouldn't bring it up later. "It was nice meeting you but I have to go, bye." She glanced one last time at Will before leaving. When she was almost to the exit a couple stopped her.

"Excuse me, have you seen my son, Albert?" She asked frantically.

"Albert? Oh, you mean Al. I haven't seen him since yesterday, why?" She looked at the candor woman like she was crazy.

"Well, do you know where we could find him?" Celia gave the woman a strange look before looking at the man behind her

"No, but if I see him I'll tell him you're looking for him," she reasoned before walking off. Why wasn't Al with his parents? I mean, he was one of the people crying at night because he missed his parents. She was lost in thought before a voice stopped her.

"Cecelia Simone Parker," Celia froze. She hadn't heard that voice since she chose dauntless, since she defied him. She slowly turned around, hoping she just imagined it. Her heart rate quickened when she saw him.

"Father," she seethed, glaring at him. "Why are you here?"

"It's visiting day, you didn't think I'd visit my favorite daughter?" He taunted.