Chapter Seventeen - California Gurls

Chapter Seventeen

California Gurls

   About a week after I'd had my hair done, Nay, Lou, Fran and I went out in the afternoon, slightly drunk again, and decided that we'd dye our hair. We brought permanent hair dyes that were the complete opposite colour of our own hair. I had brought an auburn colour, Nay a blonde, Fran a blonde and Lou a black. When we got back to mine, we had quite a bit to drink and then decided to do our hair. We went upstairs and each wet our hair. We then mixed the dye. After, we put the dye in our hair, giggling the whole way through. When we washed the dye out, we and blow dried our hair. When we looked at each other we were rolling on the floor laughing at each other.

"Lou, your hair looks like it's got blonde highlights. Nay, yours is just kinda' ginger and Fran..." I burst out laughing. "Yours is ginger too, like...bright ginger." I said, holding my stomach through the pain of laughing too much.

"You can hardly talk! Yours is like...woah! Yours is explosive." Fran said, laughing like a hatter. After we'd all told each other how awful their hair looked, we went downstairs and drank some more.

   The next day, we met up and planned a trip to the salon. We went to the salon that I'd gone to the week before and sat in a row of four chairs. My hairdresser looked at me and said "Holy shit, hun, is that your boyfriend-trouble?"

I sighed, "Yep."

"What happened?"

"Alcohol. A lot."

"Are you even old enough to drink?"

"Yes." He stared at me, one eyebrow raised. "Maybe." He still looked at me. "No." I whispered, sliding down into the chair.

"You cheeky bugger." He said, grinning. "So, what am I doin' for ya'?"

"Ummm, can you make my hair like it was last time, please?"

"Sure, hun." I smiled and sat back as he did my hair. As Lou, Fran and Nay had their hair done, we sat and gossiped.

   At some point, I said "Did you hear about Kasey?"

"No. What?" They all said in sync.

"She stuffs her bra. Majorly."

"Seriously?!" I saw my hairdresser raise an eyebrow at this.

"Oi! Nose out, ya' cheeky bugger." I said, looking at him in the mirror. He just laughed to himself.

"How did you find out?" Nay asked.

"Well, we were in P.E when she pulled her top off and everyone burst out laughing. I looked at her and you could see a mahoosive piece of loo roll hanging out of her bra and she was mega uneven. It was so funny! Though, at the same time, I do feel slightly sorry for her. I mean, when she realised she quickly wrapped her top around her chest and ran into the loos. She didn't come into the lesson or any of the others."

"So, that's why she hasn't been at school this week." Fran said, with an 'ahhhhh' tone to her voice.

I smiled and said "Yep."

"Ohhh, pure embarrassment." Lou said, biting back a laugh. Nay was silent. I knew the truth. I knew that Nay had had the same thing happen to her before. Nay all of a sudden started breathing heavily.

"Nay?" I asked. Nay's breathing got heavier. I stood up and got Nay's bag. I pulled her inhaler out of her bag and handed it to her. She smiled and took several puffs of her inhaler. She then started to try and even her breathing out. Someone brought her a glass of water. She smiled and sipped on it as her breathing started to even out.

   "Are you okay?" I asked, putting my hand on Nay's arm.

She smiled and said "Yeah, thanks." She cleared her throat and took another sip of her water. I went and sat back in my chair. My hairdresser smiled at me and said "You're lucky I wasn't cutting your hair." I smiled back at him.

"I 've done that on my own." I retorted.

"Hmmm, good point."

   After we'd paid, we all went back to mine and had a drink. By eight o'clock, we had all become drunk. Again. How smart of us. We then went to this karaoke bar that Nay knew and decided to sing there. When it was our turn, the four of us decided to sing Katy Perry's 'California Gurls'. As we stood on the stage and the music started to play, we all began to sing. When it came to the final chorus, we all started to sing together.

'California girls

We're unforgettable

Daisy Dukes

Bikinis on top

Sun-kissed skin

So hot

We'll melt your Popsicle

Oooooh oh oooooh

California girls

We're undeniable

Fine, fresh, fierce

We got it on lock

Westcoast represent

Now put your hands up

Oooooh oh ooooo'

After that Nay, as she was a low singer, sang

'(Californiaaa, Californiaaa)

California girls man

I wish they all could be

California girls

(Californiaaa)

I really wish

You all could be

California girls

(Californiaaa, girls)'

When the music stopped, everyone started to cheer and clap and several guys wolf whistled. We grinned and stepped off of the stage, giggling. Five guys that were about a year or two older than us came up to the three sofa that we were occupying and joined us. "Hey." One of them, a tall blond, said. We smiled and said 'hi' back.

"So, loved the song." One with black hair and blue eyes said.

"Thanks." Nay said, smiling.

"Anyone want a drink?" The blond one asked, standing up with his empty glass. The guys all asked for the same again. He looked to the four of us.

We looked at each other and Fran said "Yeah."

"What will it be?"

"I'll have a raspberry barcardi breezer." Nay said.

"Ummm, blue WKD please." I said.

"Same as Mel." Lou said.

"Double vodka." Fran said.

I looked at her and said "Because you haven't already had a major disaster after a load of drink this week have you?"

"I don't know what you're talking about." She said, shrugging.

"I want to know about this when I get back." The blond said.