Chapter Fourteen - She knows

Chapter Fourteen

She knows

   When Sal came in at about half eight after going to see her friend Freeda, she saw Lou and I sat on the sofa watching Letters To Juliet. She sat on the sofa, pulled the duvet over herself and said "When did the movie marathon begin and why wasn't I invited?"

I smiled and said "When Lou and I got back from shopping."

"Good time?"

"Yeah, thanks."

"Anything else that I missed out on?"

"I told 'er."

Sal looked at me confused. "Huh?"

"I told her about the cancer."

"And?"

"And I promised not to tell anyone else." Lou put in.

"Oh. Okay. So, what we watchin'?"

"Letters To Juliet." I said, smiling.

"Ohhhh, I haven't watched it yet. What did I miss?"

"She's just met one of 'Juliet's secretaries' in Verona."

   The next day, Lou walked home and I slept for the day, feeling pretty tired. We'd stayed up late gossiping and giggling. When I woke up at quarter to eight, I had back pains. I lay in bed and hoped that Lou wouldn't tell anyone, worried about what would happen if she did. On Sunday, I lay in the garden with Sal and we played Aeroplanes, rolled around on the grass and played about, saying what clouds looked like. We had a great day, like we used to when Mum and Dad went out to for a walk. We would do the things we did today, make cookies or make dens out of our bed sheets.

   After we had had enough time in the garden, we went inside and made fairy cakes. We either ate or played with most of the cake mix. I dipped my finger into the mix and licked it. Sal dipped a few fingers into the mix and flicked her fingers at me, putting cake mix in my hair and on my cheek. That ment war. We flicked cake mix at each other and all over the kitchen. With the mix left over we made six fairy cakes. After, we ate a cake each while cleaning up the kitchen, washing up the dishes and singing along to the radio.

   The next day, I went to school and saw Lou smile at me apoligetically. I smiled back, slightly annoyed that she was smiling at me as if it was her fault that my Cancer couldn't be cured. That day everything was the same except in English we had to do a project with the person next to us. Hooray for me, I thought sarcastically. Nat and I sat and looked up things out of books for the project, not talking to each other except when asking to swap books. At the end of the lesson, the teacher said "Okay, I want you and your partner to meet up out of school to complete the project. It's due in a week on Friday." I sighed and rested my head on the table.

   When the bell went, Nat and I looked at each other and Nat said "When are you free?"

"Whenever." I muttered.

"What day and where?"

"Tomorrow at mine?" He nodded and that was it.

   When I got home, I saw that Sal was in. I went up to her and said "Nat and I have to do a project together for English."

She looked at me and said "Couldn't you swap partners?"

"Nope."

"Bugger."

"Even worse is that we have to meet up out of school to finish it." She didn't say anything. "He's coming here tomorrow after school." I continued.

"Do you want me to be here or clear off?"

"I take option number two."

Sal smiled and said "I'll be back by eight. Maybe try and get it done in as little time as possible, you know, then you can't get too attached."

I smiled and said "I think it'll be a pizza occasion."

"I'll leave you twenty quid."

"You rock." And she really did, because she was my rock.