Chapter 42

Previously...

So that's why there is a death scent around you just like what gold gramps said. What did you do to attract a god, papa?"

"Who knows about that bastard. Dragging me to that place just to stop my plan."

Cale chuckled at that.

"Come on, papa. I'm pretty sure that no one can stop you. Here, eat your meal." Like a kid, Cale continues to feed his father who has no strength to lift his muscular arm

-

Cale doesn't know what to do with his father.

That father just asked him to return to his 'home' after making him worry. Rock have no idea how worried Cale was when he found out that his father was found unconscious in the treasure room. Cale even left his planned week cooking lesson with Noah in hurry.

Cale is well aware that his father didn't mean to abandon him by sending him home.

Rock already inform him that bombing attack will happen on the celebration of the King of Roan Kingdom's anniversary, an act of the organization. Cale doesn't need to attend there, they just need a reason to enter the capital and stop the bomb from exploding (by stealing it of course).

Cale deepened his frown when both of his cheeks were poked by two different fingers.

"What's with the pout, youngest?" Aldan said as he continued poking his cheek.

Leon, on the other side, pinch his cheek before she lets go.

"Stop thinking too much. We are already late from our mission."

"We won't be late if some stupid things didn't interrupt us!" Brill yelled in frustration which received a kick from William.

For some reason, problems keep appearing as if stopping them from their journey, if not stop, delaying is the best answer.

"We need to hurry."

"I guess we are really late." Aldan said as they finally saw their destination and a bunch of corpses.

The village almost painted with blood. They died either from running, fighting or protecting.

"Snap out of your thoughts." William commanded as he is the captain for today's mission. "Kill the enemy and protect anyone who is breathing."

The group was divided into three.

Leon and Cale focused on evacuating the survivors.

Aldan is assigned to cover Leon and Cale, in case someone tries to attack them and can't fight.

Brill and William, on the other hand, are eliminating the assassins.

Leon and Cale successfully evacuated everyone after checking every corner of the houses and village for the second time. The three soon join Brill and William in fighting to make it end sooner.

It is already over but they suddenly felt a shiver the moment they felt someone approaching. They immediately flee from the field and hide behind somewhere.

"They are all dead?" A cloak man whispered. "Weak." The air suddenly feels so heavy and pressuring, even for the group who are far from that person.

At that, a wind passed by, flew away the cloak that covered the man's head. His red hair is finally visible. The group needs to at least see his face for information but a white mask covers his face.

"Let's go back." The mysterious man said to the mage he is with before they disappeared.

"Holy shit. Who is that?!" Brill yelled. He was clutching his heart and catching his breath.

"Enough with talking. Let's go." Enough talking but they wouldn't dare to forgot that man. They need a complete report later.

Not long after they left, a man came and was devastated seeing the place he just starting to call home.

"What... ha– happened here?" A weak whispered came from the man. A little movement from somewhere alerted the man.

He is holding his weapon and about to attack until he recognize the person peaking behind the bush.

"Choi Han, is that you?" The man slowly get out. Fear, sorrow and devastation are visible to his face as he walk towards Choi Han. The young man tried his best to not look at the corpse of his family and the assassins but also avoiding to step on them at the same time. "Why you look like that?"

Choi Han also covered in blood. The young man thought that he shouldn't be. Choi Han was away at time of attack. Unless...

"I was attack by some people on my way back." He said. He then pointed the assassins that have a symbol on the cloak. "They also has that symbol."

The young man chose to keep his silence when he saw the anger on the man. He is afraid that if he talks now, the remaining sanity Choi Han had will snap.

"Let's prepare for their funeral." And dispose the assassins' corpses.

"Shall we call for the others first?" The young man hesitated for a second because of the mood around them but he thinks more of how Choi Han has the right to know the news he is about to say. "We can finish it faster if we are together."

"Others?" Choi Han asked, confused.

"There are a lot of us who survived." The young man broke a smile. "Let's go call them, shall we?"

The rain falls continuously for a whole day of them burying the dead while the other corpses (arm members' corpses) are gathered in one corner and covered with cloth.

The rain continued but no one dared to leave. Despite heavy weather, they stand still, looking empty.

"We should rest now." The elder said. She is the grandma who was deadly sick and needed medicine, Choi Han had to pick up the herb and the very reason why Choi Han was away at the attack.

Moment ago, the elder heard terrifying screams and fighting. She already had a picture of what was happening outside. This weak elder actually thought that her time finally arrived to leave the world, not because of her illness or monster attack (since they are right beside the forest of darkness) but murder. However, a miracle opened her door. Two humans with a cloak and a mask came to save her. She survived and is now healing.

It is not her time yet.

She still needs to guide these children.

"We need to report this matter to the Count."

They are currently having a meeting. The kids are already tucked into their bed by their parents before they proceed to the elder (the grandma) who is the new chief after her husband's death.

Teenagers came to attend and listen throughout the talk abou how to proceed living after the attack, what is there to fix and more until they come into the matter of reporting their situation.

Choi Han insisted on the job.

"Here is the pass." For the last minute before Choi Han's departure, the elder woman gave him the pass to enter the city. "Tell them that I, the chief of the village, asked you to report to the count." Before letting him go, the old woman fixed his clothes and made him presentable. Her daughter even insists on bathing him with perfume to remove the stinky smell of blood.

The young man watched that scene from afar.

The young man is the same age of Choi Han (not really cuz Choi Han is actually an old man) but he was sadden at the fact Choi Han experience so much in that young age and now he is carrying the burden of the village.

"Take care, Choi Han." The young man said which Choi Han responded with a single nod.

Few days passed, Choi Han returned with the knight and two others. The knight came to investigate the incident while Choi Han came to tell his intention to find those people, not for revenge (as the chief stated that revenge isn't necessary) but to make them pay with their lives.

-
Next...