Episode 26: Smell of the Game

Slowly, the darkness dissipates, turning into a blinding white. A slow, monotonous beeping noise cuts through the silence. Wile blinks, and the image clears up.

A hospital room, lined with beds. Beside him, a machine which he does not recognize outside of TV dramas, a green line tracking his heartbeat. An IV injects a clear fluid into his arm. On the opposite side, Ralph is holding his hand, close to bursting into tears. "Thank God, you're finally awake!"

Wile, in his barely conscious state, connects the dots one by one. "Ralph, did I...?"

"You had a panic attack," Ralph answers for him. "It was really bad, too. Passed out and everything." He picks up a duffel bag from the floor and sets it on the chair. "By the way, I cleaned you up a bit and brought a fresh change of clothes. Can't have you looking like a mess when you check out, can I?"

He should be grateful that his partner was around to help him. Yet he also feels shame. Shame for causing trouble for his loved ones, shame for acting stupid and reckless, shame for being a pitiful excuse of a hunter.

"Can't say I blame you. In our short time working together, that was probably the worst thing either of us have seen. Damn near fainted myself."

Wile lets out a small sigh. At least he's not alone in finding that corpse frightening. "If Anne's not responsible for that murder, then..."

"Here's a theory I came up with while you were out. Anne isn't the Repo Man, but one of many running about. Some might be just rogue copycats looking for attention, but the rest are likely affiliates of the Underground, just like her."

Entertained by his conjecture, he expands upon it. "The black market's organ trade activity has been running since long before Anne's arrival, as shown in Don Henery's documents. Considering the skill it takes to safely remove and transport organs, those involved in the trafficking ring would have to have surgical training. If Anne is acquainted with anyone else in her profession, it's possible for her to convince one of them to hunt down a victim at a time when she was on her date."

"I was just thinking the exact same thing. Even if the murder was just a coincidence, the mess that guy left behind would put the trafficking members at risk of being exposed. Anne may be just one brick in the Underground's Jenga tower, but if we're lucky, her capture could knock the whole thing down." Wile gives him a curious look. "I'll teach you how to play sometime. It's pretty fun."

"Speaking of messes, that brings me to my own theory: the killer from last night wasn't a copycat-not a good one, anyway. The murder looks too brutal compared to the ones credited to the Repo Man. The beheading is similar to Sophia's death, but the disembowelment..." He lets his words fall into silence, unable to utter the next statement.

At that moment, Deputy Sam and Herman show up at his bedside. Herman smiles in relief as Sam gets to the point. "Ralph, Mr. Coyote... Wile E., I'm sorry to interrupt you at this time, but as a witness I need to ask you some questions." Subtly glancing at Ralph, he adds, "I'll be quick about it."

The interrogation starts off simple as the duo recount the events leading up to their gruesome discovery. They summarize their motives and theories, with Sam nodding and jotting down notes. When Anne's name is brought up, his ear perks up curiously.

"So this Anne Toilette is associated with the Underground, you think?"

"We don't think she's involved, we know she is," Wile snaps. "I caught her preparing to kill someone. She even confessed to it!"

"Calm down, son," Herman cuts in. "We're not doubting you. These questions are just formalities. In fact, your testimony just now has given us the biggest lead in this case. Second to myself, of course."