T

Misery Moore

I wrote in my journal and sat on the bench that was in front of one of my favorite lakes. This was the only place where I felt 100% peace. I come here 2 maybe 4 times a week, mostly after school, when my mother isn't home.

I was also eating the banana that Jules gave me earlier before she went to cheer practice. She's always forcing me to eat fruits, even though I hate them, especially mango's.

But it's okay, she knows more than I do, so I just go with it most times.

There wasn't that many people at the lake today, it was just two families, and they were farther down and in the water. So I had some kind of privacy, which I liked.

I was about to start back writing when I felt a presence around me. I didn't want too react to quickly because sometimes I do be scaring myself. It's actually something I did quite frequently.

I took a deep breath and I swore to myself that there was nobody anyone round me, but I just kept feeling a presence. It didn't make any sense. I started to think maybe it was a new side effect from my pills, but then I heard.

"Doesn't the weather just feel amazing today" I slightly jumped at the voice as it came from behind me. I kept looking at my journal, scared to look up.

I saw the shadow of the person as they came to sit next to me. I slightly glanced at their shoes and then over at their face. I let out the breath I knew I was holding in when I saw Alana.

"The water looks so pretty" Alana spoke again. I couldn't do anything but stare, I noticed how she admired the water. It was the same way I did. "Oh, sorry. I just love bodies of water. I want to be a marine biologist. How about you?" Alana asked, making me clear my throat as I got caught staring.

"Dead" I replied slowly, looking back at the lake. The silence after that said everything that needed to be said. "I'm kidding" I wanted to laugh at the look on her face. I definitely wasn't kidding, but Alana didn't need to know that. It was for her own good, trust me.

"Good" Alana smiled, licking her lips and she kept her eyes on me. "You're really pretty" I said without a thought making me cover my mouth and look back towards the water. "I'm sorry" I apologized, already feeling the embarrassment. "Don't be, you're pretty too, way prettier than me sunshine" Alana said, and I just shook my head.

"Let's not lie" I put my clothed hand back over my mouth, so she wouldn't see how hard I was smiling. "I'm not, you'll see how pretty you are one day and until then every time you complement me ima complement you twice" Alana said, as she put her arm over the bench and my shoulder.

"Why do you call me sunshine?" I asked, as I closed my journal and sat it on the other side of me. "You don't like it?" She asked, and I didn't want her to feel bad, so I immediately said. "It's coo, I'm just curious" I didn't have a problem with it, but it did make me feel a way. I don't know, I can't explain it. I noticed she was smiling at me and I didn't like it.

"Stop doing that" I mumbled, and she smirked "what?" She asked "smiling at me" I replied, and she chuckled. "Do you want me to mug you?" She asked, in a playful tone, probably expecting me to say no. But I would never, I like the challenge. "Actually yes. Yes, I do" I answered and she laughed, bending over.

"You're really funny, you know that?" "Hmm, I've been told that a few times" "Oh really? By who?" "Wouldn't you like to know?" "Hmm, you got a mouth on you. I like that" "oh, you have no idea" I shook my head. I wasn't a bitch right now, but that was only because of meds, many of them.

Sometimes they make me sad, sometimes mad, and sometimes way too nice. I hate them. I wish I could go one day without a pill, but Blair would never allow that. I would never also, no matter how much I hate them. I wasn't stupid.

"A penny for your thoughts" "No, thank you, I hate pennies" I declined, and she chuckled. "Somehow I believe you" "well you should since it's the truth" I shrugged, I think my energy for this conversation was finally going away.

"Then, can I tell you something I'm thinking about?" She asked, and I eyed her, I've never heard someone respond to my constant comebacks. "Sure, I guess" I shrugged, and she smiled at me and shook her head.

"I'm wondering why you haven't responded to any of my texts?" She said, and I looked back at the water. I tried to act like I was thinking really hard, but I just didn't care to respond. "I don't know how to text" I replied, which is 100% true.

I wasn't allowed to have a phone, so I never learned how to text or use those yellow things. I think they're called emojos, emos, I don't know. Jules tried to teach me but we both kept getting distracted, so we gave up, and now she just calls me. Which I also hate, but I'm not gonna hurt her feelings. I only know how to listen to music, and barely even that.

"Are you serious?" She asked and I nodded. Why would I lie about that? She's the liar, not me. "I can teach you" she said "no, thanks" I mumbled, I already had 1 Jules and I didn't need another one. "Too late. I'm texting you when I get home, and I'm gonna help you" she replied, smiling and her smile was so cute. Too bad, I wasn't going to reply to her. I didn't even know where to go on the Instagram app.

I'm a lost cause.

"Okay?" She said, and I eyed her as she got up. "I gotta go, but we're definitely gonna finish this conversation" she told me, as I watched her get up from the bench. Like clockwork, I felt my phone vibrating in my jacket pocket. I saw it was Jules calling me and a little smile went on my face. I answered, and she immediately said "I just pulled up and if you take too long ima eat some of your fries" I shook my head as I quickly put my journal back into my backpack then put it on.

"Jules" I said seriously, and she laughed and hung up. I sighed and went to her car, already knowing where it was.

I got in the car and Jules was eating her burger. "How was practice?" I asked as I buckled myself in. "Coo, I hurt my wrist, but ima put a little ice on it" she said, and I looked at her wrist. "Jules" I glared, and she gave me a closed smile. "I'm fine, I promise. Don't worry" she said, and I looked at it again before I slowly nodded.

She pulled out of the parking lot and I sighed, scratching my neck before I asked a question that even I was surprised by.

"How do you text on Instagram?"
***********************************************
I don't want this story to just be 100% sadness so I hope y'all enjoyed this update. Bye 🐸