CHAPTER 1- may

I start packing my shoes and extra tights for dance class. I have been dancing since I was little. I was around 3 when I started but it was love at first sight. My little self knew that this was it for me.

My dad dropped me off every day and my mom picked me up. They were the best parents I could ask for. Sadly that didn't last long. My parents died in a car crash when I was 5. They were going to pick me up from dance class. I was so excited to show them what I learned that day.

Just thinking about that day makes me cry. I am a bit of a crybaby. I get off my bed and move to sit in my bay window. I grab my favorite blanket. I try to calm myself to no avail

"Y-your ok t-that was 12 y-years ago " I try to tell myself. I hate when I stutter. I always do it when I am crying or nervous. I always got picked on for it in school. Thankfully I graduated last April. It is now early October in Esterford.

"Meet me in the car sweetie don't forget your shoes!" I hear my aunt yell from across the house. I have been with my aunt ever since the crash. My aunt tries as she might is not my mom. My aunt Lucy is just never really around. She is very busy with work.

She is a very important part of her work from what I hear. But she works herself into exhaustion most of the time sleeping on the couch

Most of the time she can't pick me up or drop me off so I walk. I know the walk is like the back of my hand. Night time is the worst to walk. Dance clothes don't help either. It is always cold and windy even though it is only the beginning of fall.

But today was a special day she was going to pick me up and drop me off. Work gave her a break for the day.

I look out the window and daydream about love and my parents

Before I even know it I am there

She drops me off and I go straight to class. Being I was a little late. I walk in set my stuff down and started putting on my point shoes I tie each with a little bow. I also put my long blonde hair in a bun.

My dance teacher and the other girls in class are already getting started. I do my warm-ups and stretches alone not that I mind. I am used to being alone. I never really had that many friends in school. After I am done I join the rest of the class

Then I dance my heart out. My twirls are perfect. I leap and jump gracefully. Dance is the one place where I forget about losing my parents. The one place I can be me. Truly me.

My mom was a ballerina too. she taught dance to little kids including me. Out of my parents, I miss her the most. I still dance in her memory. Even tho I am 17, dance makes me feel like I am a little kid again. Sometimes I feel my mother dancing with me.

I dance till my feet hurt in my point shoes. I normally stay after class to practice but normally I only do an hour but today I did two.

I go to check my phone to see if my aunt is outside. I get a different text instead

Something  happened at work walk home sorry- aunt Lucy

She always does this. I don't know how many times she has canceled plans with me for work. Sometimes I think she regrets taking me.

I take off my shoes carefully. I untied the bows and put on my flats. I gently put them back in my bag

Exiting class it is now dark. Everyone was already gone. My thin tights make the wind on my legs very apparent. 

There is this creepy guy that always hangs outside of the dance studio. He usually leaves everyone alone but he has taken a special interest in me. He normally just looks but if I walk away he leaves me alone. He works for a gang in town.

But lately, he has been trying to get touchy with me. I see him looking around for me so slip behind some bushes. Successfully he doesn't see me. When he is not looking I quickly walk home.

As I am walking, I see a man following me out of the corner of my eye. I  speed up a little so that I am walking very fast. He starts running.

" Come here pretty girl " he yells. I run as fast as I can away from him I don't care where I am going. I am running as fast as my feet will take me.

"You can't outrun me, pretty girl." He is right I can't outrun him. He is right behind me

I didn't even notice I was crying till I felt my tears hit my arms. I try to run faster but with no luck. At this point don't even know where I am but it doesn't matter. My feet are going to have blisters and brushes tomorrow.

I just want to get away from him. Oh god why did this happen to me.

But that is when I hit something hard...