Chapter 13

Christopher

I wake up on Katherine's chest. She's still somehow sleeping. I usually wake up when she plays with my hair or she wakes me up. She's sleeping so peacefully with her lips parted and chest rising and falling slowly. I remember laying on her like this and appreciating every moment that I had with her. I was smart enough to realise that it might not last, but now that she's here, I'm not going to lose her again.

"Hey..." She says, opening her eyes.

"Hi baby." I move myself up to kiss her and lay down on the bed next to her.

She traces a line with her fingers on my cheek and jaw.

"I'm so glad that you're here." She says. You have no idea how glad I am to be here.

I kiss her lips and tug a strand of hair behind her ear. "I love you." I kiss her again.

"I love you." She says against my lips and I feel her smile. My heart is beating very fast. I never want to let go of this feeling. How my heart leaps every time when she says that she loves me.

"What do you want for breakfast?" She asks standing up.

"Anything." I say, stretching out. "Everything that you make tastes delicious." I turn my head to look at her, but she disappears in the bathroom. I plop my head back down onto the mattress and stare at the ceiling until she gets out. This bed is very comfortable, no wonder why Katherine chose it. I should probably check on Adaline.

Katherine walks back into the room a moment later. She walks over to the dresser and puts on grey sweats.

"Are you okay?" I ask her as she leans on the dresser.

"Yeah, I'm fine."

She tugs her hair behind her ears as she turns to me. "I just started my period and that's why I don't feel so well." She says.

I have no idea what to say at this moment because she never was on her period when we were together before and I never had to deal with this stuff. It's kind of weird for me, but she said that she's not feeling well, so I should just help her.

"Do you want me to make breakfast?" I ask, climbing out of the bed.

"No, it's okay. I'll do it." She says. I take her hands and plant a couple of kisses. Her lips turn into a smile, but she looks a little off.

"Let's check on the angel." I say.

"Yeah, a real angel." Katherine jokes as we head downstairs.

I grab a t-shirt and pull it over my head on the way. We both enter Adaline's room to find her sprawled on her bed with her leg draping down the side of the bed.

Katherine gestures to me to walk back into the hallway and as we get out she closes the door behind her. "I love when she sleeps like that." She says. "I think she can sleep more while I make breakfast."

"I'll help you." I follow her into the kitchen. "Do you want coffee?" I ask and grab the coffee beans from the cabinet.

"I would like to, but I can't." She says.

"Why?" I ask as she opens the refrigerator. She takes out some eggs, cheese and olives.

"Because I'll feel worse if I drink it." She says. I didn't know that.

As I make a coffee for myself she beats the eggs and pours it into the pan with some sesame oil.

"Nice touch." I say and she gives me a smile.

"It makes the eggs taste better." As I said, a pro chef.

I sit at the table, drinking my coffee and check on my phone that I left on the table yesterday. Nothing important, just a couple of messages from people that I don't want to talk to anymore. I look at Katherine, who is cutting some tomatoes. As I take a sip from my coffee, I notice her closing her eyes. Is she feeling worse than she says she is?