Chapter 12

As I read through the papers in front of me, my finger thudding against the table, the silence in the room was palpable. Even Nathan, who knew me better than anyone, didn't dare speak up. I let out a heavy sigh and ran my hand through my hair, not caring about the mess it created. My face contorted with annoyance and anger, making it clear that something was bothering me.

"General Smith," I said, my annoyance almost bursting through my voice, echoes at the room.

"Yes, Governor?" he replied, sounding like a submissive puppy who had just been scolded. He avoided my gaze, keeping his head down like a child caught in the act.

"Didn't I explicitly order you to avoid using heavy weaponry during your mission, especially if there was a chance that civilians were among the ranks of Valurians?" I asked, clicking my tongue in irritation. "And why did you order the annihilation and slaughter of the survivors of Valur without my permission?"

My frustration was not only due to his insubordination and failure to seek my permission but also the collateral damage he caused. This situation could have been avoided if he hadn't gone rogue, and he seemed to realize that too - such utter incompetence.

Smith remained silent as I continued. "Twenty-two dead, with an additional three just an hour ago. Eighteen wounded, half of whom were elves and the other half were demi-humans. Now, can you answer me? For what reason did you order such unnecessary actions?"

Finally raising his head, Smith wore a complicated expression. "I'll assume the responsibility, Governor. I'd like Vice-Air Marshall Brandon to take over my post."

"That's not what I meant," I said firmly. "I never asked who was responsible. I'm asking why you didn't report it or ask for permission before taking such actions. Don't assume responsibility just to avoid my question."

Smith let out a sigh as he composed himself. "I authorized the use of heavy weaponry after receiving information from our POWs that Valur had already killed all of their captured demi-humans. And those elves were being transported out of Mineas to be sold in slave houses. Thus, we concluded that there would be no collateral damage once we began using heavy arms for this mission, which resulted in the deployment of Smerch and the subsequent order to eliminate every single survivor to keep our existence a secret from this unknown world, both militarily and location-wise, Governor."

I stared at him in disbelief. This was utter gross incompetence. I shook my head in disappointment. "So, you decided to believe the unverified information from POWs without verifying their accuracy? And you didn't bother to ask for my permission before using such heavy MRLS? And what about those who might have been in their captivity? Did you even consider their safety?"

Smith hung his head in shame, admitting his mistake. "It's not a hundred percent wrong, Governor. The information was correct. There was no one in captivity. But..." Smith paused for a second. "We never expected that a few dozen of them had snuck into the vicinity of the camp to hide. They probably thought that the enemy wouldn't be suspicious because of their presence in the area, which was meant to ward off any demi-humans in the surrounding. And we were also fooled into thinking that our target was solely the Valurians on the strike zone."

So, it appeared that no one was in the hands of the Valurian forces, but some unfortunate souls got caught in the crossfire due to the large-scale artillery strikes. Talk about being unlucky. I cursed myself, feeling responsible for their misfortune.

Sighed

"This is the last time," I declared, my tone serious, as I looked into his eyes. He nodded, understanding the gravity of the situation. I stood up, addressing the others in the room. "I want to make it clear why I'm protecting these natives. It's not only for their benefit but also for ours. It's not because I'm a saint who provides protection for free or a tyrant disguised as their friend. I believe in a mutually beneficial relationship over blind loyalty or strict ethical codes. As long as they can provide us with something of value, I'm willing to invest in them."