Chapter 6

Fort Tiam, Valur Empire

There's a great empire that spans over 40 conquered nations and regions, 60 million second and third rate citizens, and 10 million first class citizens. It has a rich imperial history that dates back 700 years ago. The strongest nation in the eastern world and one of the most powerful nations in Pandora, The Valur Empire, is located 360 kilometers north of Cignus province.

However, this country is currently in decline due to constant war with neighboring alliances and internal turmoil due to excessive corruption and mismanagement of the country by its incompetent government. The only thing that held their country together was their Emperor's iron fist policies, which resulted in large-scale inquisitions and unfair judgments that killed over a hundred thousand people. They also used the mana-less to ventilation for the rage of the majority of their countrymen, or to spread superstitious rumors about witches and such, claiming more innocent lives whom any unfortunate woman who was pointed out would be burned to death on stakes alive, and, somehow, as a result of those measures, they were able to divert the dissatisfied population's attention away from the country's current problems, preventing any large-scale rebellion from happening due to fear.

In times of great crisis, the way to mitigate it was to wage war or go on an expedition for resources and wealth, but all of those were already out of the question. They already had the wealth and resources of a great empire. Their land spans nearly 1/3 of the continent. Their population is the 8th largest in the world. They have no shortfalls nor any problems with territories. They have large swaths of useless land. Their problem resides in their overly large population. Yes, it was too large. They had a hard time controlling it. They used nearly 1.1 million first-class citizens as troops in order to keep watch on 60 million second- and third-class citizens from revolting.

Because of that, nearly a tenth of the population of the core nation was being drafted as soldiers, while their second and third classes were only authorized to have a police force with light weapons such as old muskets and swords, but their numbers were nearly twice the first class citizens, which troubled the Valurian Imperial Army a lot.

So, as problems persisted, the Valurian Imperial Army could only deploy less than a hundred thousand soldiers at the best, so they held themselves for a decade, not attacking other nations but only waging defensive war, which they consecutively triumphed in and were hailed as one of the best countries in Pandora at waging defensive war. It's evident with the number of forts scattered in the country. One of them is Fort Tiam, a fortified emplacement located in the mineas forest also called as mystic forest.

All of the personnel in Tiam were in a tense situation. It's been three days since an unknown fast-flying thing flew very low and quickly passed through the fortress and nearby Imperial forts and settlements. They don't know what kind of monster this is, nor can it even be called a living thing. The superiors of this fort and their soldiers in the watchtower describe something as sharp as a sword, about 20 to 30 meters in length and with a tail of fire. They think it was some sort of fire dragon, but they have never heard of that kind of draconic species living in Mineas. All the known species living there are only limited to land dragons and occasionally straying winged dragons in the forest. They are pretty intelligent and don't attack until they get attacked first or anyone intruding into their territories.

Three days ago, they were completely off guard, but this time they were well prepared with hand cannons and large ballistas aimed in the air. The thing they waited for finally returned. After three days of waiting, an ear-piercing, unknown screeching sound resonated, sending shivers down the spines of the imperial soldiers who had yet to know it was the sound of an approaching jet engined aircraft.

The aircraft flew at 1,200 meters above the ground at a speed of over 400 miles per hour, specifically, another SEPECAT Jaguar Attack Aircraft due to its outstanding range and is deemed the best aircraft suited for long-range armed reconnaissance in the current inventory of Cignus.