Chapter 36

(I do not own the images to these stories.)
************************************************
What was even happening? Amanda wasn't sure that she could take anymore surprises. Leonard Black, Leonard, Leo, lion, the man's name practically screamed, "black lion".  It was almost as if it had been a sick twisted game of riddles that she had been playing this whole time.

She watched as they both had their weapons drawn, ready to do battle to claim her love. Most girls might have thought of it as a dream come true, or one of their deepest fantasies coming to fruition. But all it was to her was a nightmare. Her head began to hurt as it felt like it was about to explode. She felt as though she had been stuck in a whirlwind of torment, for which she had been dealing with for the past couple of months. A sharp pain felt as though it shot through her brain like a thunderbolt, as she cried out in agony. "Stop! Please! I can't take anymore of this!"

The both of them, who had been so focused on each other, suddenly turned their attention towards her. Neither said a word, but they each had the same surprised look upon their faces. Bassel's eyes softened, and he began to reach out towards her. "Amanda, —"

"Silence fool!" Maashes exclaimed, as he interrupted him. "You are the one who is responsible for her suffering!  You knew that Mark was Apep in disguise. You were the one who had the power the entire time to release me, but you didn't. If you had, I could have stopped him before he killed everyone she loved. But then again you eliminated anyone who got in your way. Why don't you tell her how you mauled that drunk driver to death?"

Amanda was confused by what she had heard. As she looked at Bassel, she could see the shameful guilt in his eyes. Wanting answers, she soon questioned him. "What is he talking about? Is what he just said true?"

Tears were in Bassel's eyes as he looked at her, practically begging her for forgiveness. "I swear, I was trying to protect you. That man was going to kill you, I had no choice. I had to save you."

"You mean you were saving her for yourself." Maashes spat. "That's why you put her in that coma."

"What?" Amanda exclaimed. "When? How?"

"I am not a god, but as an immortal guardian, I do have some powers. After you passed out in your car, I had placed a spell on you." Bassel replied. "I was also able to put your driver's side window back together, right after I called 911."

"Why?" Amanda cried.

"Because I needed time." Bassel explained. "I knew who Mark truly was, when you brought him home for dinner a couple of months ago. I knew he was Apep, back to try and claim you, and I needed time to figure out how to defeat him. So that is why I had to put you in a coma. While you remained in the coma, it would be more difficult for him to try and claim you for himself. When Maashes still believed that he was your uncle, I was able to communicate with his subconscious mind. Every precaution that he took with Mark, including the trinkets and charms that kept Mark away from you. That's how he knew not to trust Mark. I was also the one who convinced him that I was just a common house cat, and to give me to you as a birthday present. It was all for you, to protect you from Apep."

"And me!" Maashes exclaimed. Amanda looked at the lion god. His face was that of stone-cold anger, as rage burned in his eyes while he glared at Bassel. He folded his arms, as he turned towards Amanda.

However, Maashes facial expression soon changed, as his look of anger soon gave way to a smile. "You see my dear, when your uncle agreed to give his life to me, it wasn't just to protect you. I had promise to protect your family. Bassel was the only one who had the power to release me from my slumber inside your uncle's subconscious mind. But he didn't, not until Apep almost killed him. He didn't have a choice. While still believing that I was your uncle, I had escaped from prison and made my way to your home. It was then that I found him lying on the floor, dying. If Bassel hadn't let me know the truth of who I really was, he would have succumbed to his injuries. Your loved one's lives were not worth it to him; it was only his own pathetic life. He finally let me know the truth of who I really was, but only after it was the only way to save him."