Chapter 22

(I do not own the images to these stories.)
*********************************************
Amanda wasn't quite sure how she was feeling. The last time she saw Mark was in the hospital, but apparently he had an emergency, and had to leave before he even had the chance to visit her. On the one hand, she couldn't help but feel an attraction towards him. The thought of him personally tutoring her, did make her heart flutter a bit. But she also remembered her last encounter with him at school. She knew that it was just a dream, but she just couldn't shake the feeling that it was more than that.

Stop being ridiculous, Amanda!  I'm letting my imagination run wild. That's just what I secretly want to happen. It's all in my head.  Then why does he frighten me so?

"Mandy!" She heard her mother calling to her.

Amanda had been completely lost in her thoughts when her mother snapped her out of it. "I'm sorry, mom. What?"

Her mother smirked while looking at her and chuckling at the same time. "Earth to Amanda; are you there?"

"Oh, I'm sorry." She replied. "I guess I just have a lot on my mind today. It feels a bit strange not going back to school.  But then again school would feel strange to begin with, since Uncle Rob won't be there. I know it's only been a couple of weeks, but it just seems that so much time has passed. It almost feels like an entire lifetime ago."

"Well, that's understandable." Her mother said.  "The accident, as well as your turning eighteen soon, has caused you to grow up rather quickly. That's the thing about life. It feels like forever to reach adulthood, but once you do; time just seems to speed up rather quickly."

Amanda soon felt her beloved Midnight purring, while rubbing himself against her legs. She looked down at the cat, and smiled. She bent down to pick him up, and as she lifted him off the ground; she looked into his eyes and sighed. "I wish I didn't have to put you in the basement. But the last time that Mr. Jacobson was here, you kept growling and hissing at him. If I let you near him now, he might fail me."

"Oh I doubt that." Her mother chuckled. "But it would probably be a good idea. You don't want any distractions while you are learning. That's why I am going to leave the two of you alone while he tudors you."

Amanda froze, as she was completely taken aback by it. She wasn't sure that she wanted to be left alone with him. "Are you sure that's a good idea?"

Her mother furrowed her brow, looking confused. "Why wouldn't that be a good idea?  If anything, I would just be in the way."

"I know it may be easier on me, without having too many distractions." Amanda replied. "But you're just going to leave us alone together; just me and him?"

"Him and me, dear." Her mother quipped. Ugh! Amanda hated it whenever her mother corrected her grammar. For the most part, Amanda didn't make such grammatical errors. And though it was rare, she felt like a two year old whenever her mother corrected her.  But she wasn't in the mood to argue about it.

"Right, him and me." Amanda chuckled in a slight annoyance. "Either way, you're going to leave us here alone, together?"

"I think I can trust you to be alone with a teacher."  Her mother said. She then looked at Amanda with a puzzled expression upon her face. "Why Amanda?  Is there something you're not telling me?  Has Mark ever behaved inappropriately towards you? Or anyone else perhaps?  Like a person with whom you have a lot of trust?"

"No." Amanda gasped. "Of course not.  Why would you ask? Is there someone that you think I need to be cautious around?"

"No." Her mother answered. "It's just that—you know what, never mind. I think we're both just letting our imaginations get the better of us. I don't personally know of anyone with whom you should feel uncomfortable around."