kitten season

Summer, apparently, is smack dab in the middle of kitten season. Something about the warm weather makes cats horny, they bone, and a bunch of little furry bastards start to appear soon after. It's a phenomenon that happens year after year and every single one of them, the local animal shelters get slammed by an influx of kittens.

Jennie had no way of knowing any of this until recently, because she doesn't like cats.

That's not to say she hates them-that'd be too strong of a word for it. Dislike, possibly. Apathy, perhaps. Or maybe just plain not a fan. She doesn't really know the exact term for her feelings on cats, but between their habit of scratching the shit out of everything, pissing everywhere, shedding like crazy, and general tendencies to be grade-A assholes, Jennie definitely doesn't love them.

Lisa does, though.

Lisa loves cats. Loves with a capital 'L', because she loves anything with four paws and fur and a cute little face. And Jennie capital 'L' Loves Lisa, so for some fucking reason, the first thing out of her mouth upon seeing Lisa walk in the door to their apartment with a crate full of kittens is not an immediate "What the fuck is that and get them out of our place," but instead a simple, firm, "No."

Because Jennie knows Lisa and, more importantly, she knows Lisa's big fat bleeding heart tendencies. Those big fat bleeding heart tendencies mean that the little pout that's going to make its way upon her girlfriend's face any moment now is going to be dangerously convincing, and Jennie cannot afford to let her resolve falter.

So when Lisa asks, "Would you at least let me explain before shooting me down?" her answer comes as easy as breathing.

"No. No cats. We agreed no pets."

"They won't be ours," Lisa protests, setting the crate down on the counter. (Jennie mentally makes a note to clean that spot later, because who knows what that crate has touched.) "They'd be fosters. It won't be permanent."

"No cats," Jennie repeats, digging her heels in. A small chorus of tiny meows protests that answer, but she doesn't care. They don't get a say in this argument. "I know you can find them somewhere else to stay."

"Not within 24 hours." Lisa pokes a finger through the metal bars of the cage door and smiles in a way that sends every alarm bell in Jennie's head ringing at once. "They've got nowhere else to go, Ni. The shelter is slammed right now and they really need foster homes."

"Great! In that case, I'm sure Jisoo would be happy to take them." That woman has had more cats in her house recently than the damn zoo, so she's fairly sure these guys would fit right in. "We're not keeping them."

"Jisoo's out of town."

Right. She forgot about that. "Rosé, then."

"She is too. They're attending that research conference together, remember?"

Right. She forgot about that too.

"We can't keep them."

"And we won't be. We'd just be giving them a home for a few weeks, until they're big enough to be spayed and neutered." Big, doe eyes turn their attention on her and Jennie suddenly feels her toes being dragged across the line she had drawn in the sand. "I'll keep them in the guest bedroom. You won't even know they're there."

"No."

"Jen," Lisa presses, and fuck, there's that pout she was worried about, "be reasonable."

"I am being reasonable. We agreed no pets." And Jennie does not like cats, so even then, if that deal were to be broken, it would be for a dog. A nice, trainable, friendly dog. Not a litter of goddamn kittens.