Chapter XVI: Always Together

Start from the beginning

Walking forward quickly, I try to put a smile on my face, trying to keep my hopes up. All I have to do is have a little hope, like Sunset always does. Things will be fine between Pinkie Pie and I. And I will be able to apologize to Sunset. All I need is a little faith... What's wrong with having a little bit of hope, right? The last time I had no hope when it came to Sunset and I, she reached out to me and we both found out our mutual feelings for one another. So, there is some precedent for being hopeful, right?

I need her in my life. I need her in general. Just to see her smile and spend all of my moments with her. Quickly, my walk turns into a run, rain starting to fall down to the ground. I... want to spend the rest of my life with her. It's such a weird feeling for someone like me. I've lived for thousands of years, but now? I don't quite care if my life is short now, as long as I get to spend it with her. I never wanted to be tied to someone before because I always saw it as a form of bondage, but that tie to Sunset has turned out to be one of the most freeing things I've ever experienced. She's helped me overcome my past and I... want my future to be entangled with hers~ Can I really be blamed for loving her this much? Raindrops fall on my hair and my jacket, but a part of me finds it hard to care. My mind can only focus on getting back home to the one I love so I can try to make things up to her. She deserves the whole world, but I still should have given her the choice to be here for me too. Running around a corner, I see the apartment complex just ahead of me, my heart racing. I have to make things right between us. I love her too much to let something like this go.

The rain starts to pick up its pace just as I finally make it to our porch, ducking under the overhead cover and knocking on the door. Brushing my hair back, I take a deep breath and try to think of what I will say. She's so important to me. I can't afford to let another thing go wrong with us~ Hearing the door's locks, I smile as best as I can, seeing the door slowly open. My smile fades slightly as I see her face once more, her eyes carrying the same sad feeling in them from last night, but she tries to smile at me as well, gesturing for me to come inside. "Come in, Adagio," she whispers, trying her best to smile just a little bit more.

Walking inside slowly, I start to take my coat off before Sunset grabs the shoulders of the coat, helping me out of it. Her hand gently pats my shoulder as if she's telling me to make myself comfortable as she hangs my coat on a hanger. "Did you get enough sleep?" I hesitantly ask, sitting down on the couch with our eyes connecting for a moment.

Briefly, she nods before she walks over to the other side of the couch, sitting down with her body aimed at me. Hesitantly, Sunset looks at me and smiles, still thinking of what she should say. "Yeah, I did. Don't worry about my rest and all." Despite how she's trying to act, something is still on her mind, obviously taking up the majority of her thoughts. "How did your day go...?" Sunset's gaze still locked with mine, her curious glance makes me feel a little nervous... I can't help but wonder whether or not she got my note earlier today. Or if this is maybe a test. I don't know, maybe she wants to see if I will tell her the truth about what happened.

"It went well, technically... My work wasn't any different than usual." My mind instantly tells me to keep the actual aftermath of Pinkie and I's meeting a secret, but Sunset's locked gaze with mine only serves to remind me what happened last night. I didn't give her a choice with the other times I had a bad day... "I also went to talk to Pinkie Pie, but... she wasn't exactly welcoming." Sunset's eyes widen slightly upon hearing my news, frowning at what happened.

"I'm sorry, Adagio. That Pinkie didn't accept your attempt to make peace with her. But I'm sure you'll get to her sometime." Leaning forward slightly, Sunset places her hand on mine, rubbing gently and making me feel surprised in the process. She keeps sending me mixed signals... Half the time, her eyes tell me she's still sad about last night, but she's also trying to smile and console me for something that happened when she should still be mad at me. I can't help but feel a little confused at each turn, making me wonder exactly what she's feeling. "I'm... also sorry for storming out last night. I didn't exactly give you the best chance to talk and all." A guilty expression comes to Sunset, causing us to break our eye contact. I didn't exactly want her to apologize to me... Sunset usually finds a way to blame herself, even for situations where she wasn't at fault at all. Yeah, she did storm out last night, but I don't think it was unwarranted, given what we were arguing about...