Chapter Twenty-Six | Scaring Kids

- Tamara Myers -

After practising a piano solo in the music room for the fourth time this week, I head off to work. I've really fallen into a good routine of uni, work and social life. I'm sure my mum would be proud.

When I lock my car and walk into the milkshake diner, I find no customers inside. I'm sure that the place was open?

Janet is sitting in one of the booths typing away on her laptop. She sees me and her eyes light up as she beckons me over.

"Hey Tamara! Yeah, the place is closed for today. I'm putting up Halloween decorations. Everyone else went home." She sulks.

I slide next to her and rummage through the box on the table for decorations. We end up finding a couple decorations and place them around the shop.

"Perfect. Now all we need is for it to get dark." Janet turns to me, "what are you dressing up as?"

Ummm. "Dressing up? Unless I'm going to a party, I don't dress up. To be honest I'm not a huge fan of Halloween."

Janet gasps, "criminal behaviour. You need to at least go trick or treating with your friends. Give me your phone." I hand it over to her and she scrolls through my contacts. "Who's 'my loser <3' ? Wait hold on, that picture of you two is so cute! Yep, he's taking you trick or treating."

Ah yes, I ended up changing his name on the phone. But he doesn't need to know that...

She types a message to Kai and gives the phone to me for approval. I nod and she sends it off. Not even a minute after, he sends a text back:

T - heyy. Do you feel like trick or treating today?

K - Yeah, sure. Let me know what time to pick you up.

Janet reads the message and squeals immediately, "Who is this and how come you haven't told me anything about him?"

I swiftly tuck my phone away and rest my elbows on the table, propping my head up with my arms. "Things are going well, we're taking things slow." I answer vaguely.

"So you're not going to tell me his name?"

I shake my head, "I don't want to jinx anything. Maybe you'll see him around."

Janet laughs, "okay, keep Mr mystery to yourself. Let's make some blood red velvet cupcakes."

******

After work, I head over to Enzo and Kai's dorm. Enzo called again to get ready for trick or treating.

Jasmine meets me at the door and waltzes in. They should really lock this door. Inside, Kai's drying his hair with a towel, shirtless and Enzo is lying on his bed with a Scream mask.

"The late-comers have finally arrived! What time do you call this? The candy will already be gone by the time we roll to the adults' houses." He complains.

Jasmine sits on his bed beside him and removes the scream mask, "says the guy who's wearing a scream mask. You're going to end up giving the children nightmares."

Enzo sits up and shakes his head, "Even without my mask you would've said that I'd be giving children nightmares. With my real face."

I chuckle and Jasmine just combs through Enzo's hair with a smile. "You know me too well."

Kai sits by me, watching the two bicker. "After all of that, Grey? Wow, deep down you know you love me." Enzo laughs and in reply she hits his shoulder.

"What are you dressing up as?" I ask Kai, once he sets the towel down.

"I wasn't planning on dressing up. I thought I was going to pick you up?" He turns to his bedside table and takes out his bracelet giving it to me to clasp onto his wrist. "I didn't want it to get wet."