Bonus Chapter #7: Malenia, Blade of Miquella

Start from the beginning

Of course, Marika demanded that Malenia join the wedding. To marry her Sweet Tarnished at her Mother's side, to join the other women that he had enamored as his bride... Malenia had been struck by the entire situation. And quite surprised to learn that Melina, the kindling maiden who had watched her lose her virginity, was actually a sister she had not known of.

In the end, Malenia couldn't help but feel a little bit like she was simply invited along out of a need for symmetry. Especially once they got to the ceremony itself, and she saw how they were arrayed. Her dress, made by a demi-human seamster of all things, was absolutely gorgeous. In fact, Malenia wore it even now, despite having returned to the Haligtree. She couldn't bring herself to take it off. Like spun golden sunlight, it was beautiful, and she felt beautiful in turn when wearing it.

But it was also made to match her mother and sister's attire, and as a counterpoint to her half-sister's and her half-sister's mother. Lunar Princess Ranni, Queen Rennala of the Full Moon... and someone named Sellen. That was what Malenia had been called to act as an equal and opposite weight to. A Queen for a Queen, an Empyrean for an Empyrean... a kindling maiden for a sorcerer?

Hm, perhaps the comparison grew a little muddled when you thought about it, but in the end, twas clear. Ranni's lineage had three, and so Marika's lineage had to have three as well. And so Malenia had been offered the chance of a lifetime.

It was not as though she deserved it... any of it. After all, who was she really, compared to the plethora of other women he had at his beck and call? The Blade of Miquella? The Undefeated Swordswoman? She couldn't even save her brother from Mohg's depravations without the Tarnished's help! She would not even have found her brother, if he had not led her to him. Nor was she able to claim the title of undefeated any longer. The words 'I have never known defeat' would not pass from her lips ever again.

Nay, she had known defeat... and what a joyous, pleasurable defeat it was. She was glad she lost, but she was not ignorant to her... lack of value. In the silence that came with the Scarlet Rot's absence, Malenia was left with her own thoughts, and had come to a simple conclusion. She didn't really like who she was and wasn't entirely sure why anyone else would. In comparison to the others, she was little more than a useless cripple with only one actual flesh and blood limb!

Regardless, when the opportunity had come, she'd taken it. And even though it took her away from her brother, she'd gone all the same, trusting in her Sweet Tarnished and his new Age to protect Miquella in her absence.

She's been right to trust him to, it seemed, because here she was, back in Elphael, back at the bottom of the Brace of the Haligtree. Standing there beside the pool in the center of the grove, Malenia lets her eyes drift shut, a soft smile on her lips as she fiddles with the ring on her left hand almost constantly.

It would-

A sudden sound catches Malenia's attention, and she spins around, blade in prosthetic hand in an instant. Dressed for a wedding she might be, but she would always be ready to defend her brother from any would-be intruder.

However, her eyes widen in surprise beneath the fringe of her red locks when she sees just who it is.

"Sweet Tarnished... I did not expect to see you so soon."

He smiles and strides forward, shaking his head as if to say 'I should have come sooner'. Malenia flushes, as she disengages her blade and tosses it aside, moving to meet him. His hands come down upon her hips, and she blushes as he leans in and kisses her deeply, right on the lips. He treats her not like the Blade of Miquella, but like a woman... and she must admit, she quite enjoys that.

In fairness, it had been some weeks since the wedding now. A couple of months, if her internal clock was not too far off. And Malenia had been sure to extend an open invitation to her Sweet Tarnished, to come and see her whenever he liked. But she had not expected the new Elden Lord to make his way to her any time soon. After all, not only was he no doubt busy with his new rule, but... she was the least of his brides, wasn't she? Perhaps he'd simply already made his way through the rest, before coming to her? Yes, that made sense.