iii. jeanine matthews

︻╦̵̵̿╤──

The Prior family all sat down together for dinner, all eyes fell upon Beatrice and Tatum as they somehow got sent home after they both took their tests.

''What happened to you two today? Where did you go after your test?'' Caleb questions his siblings.

''I got sick, so they sent me home early.'' Tris responds looking down at her plate trying to withhold eye contact with Caleb. But Tatum looked him dead in the eye to show no fear.

''I think i was slightly concussed i bumped into a strong Dauntless man made of muscle and fell on my ass, but the liquid thingy made me ill so i got sent home.'' Tatum lies effortlessly.

''Did you finish your test?'' Caleb questions the girls further.

''Yep.'' The girls say together.

''What was your result?'' Caleb leans towards Beatrice.

''What was yours?'' Tatum asks him smirking as he just smirks back not responding.

''Why did you just leave without telling anybody?'' Andrew sighs worried for his faction's future.

''How many time's do we have to mention we were sick, what were we supposed to do hurl on someone's shoes,'' Tatum says moodily.

''Tatum... I don't think you understand the level of scrutiny we're under.'' Andrew says calmly knowing how... difficult, Tatum could be.

''They're are doing everything they can do to discredit us right now.'' Natalie stands with her husband.

''Who is?'' Beatrice asks curiously.

''Erudite. They believe that they should be the governing faction, not us.'' Natalie explains as Tatum catches Caleb shying away... could he have tested for erudite, if he did he wouldn't join them they are ruining his home and family's chances at everything.

''So you have to be careful right now, okay?'' Andrew rubs Tatum's arm trying to keep her calm and keep her level-headed.

''Even Marcus is under attack.'' Natalie confesses to the Prior siblings.

''For what?'' Beatrice asks.

''It's an old accusation. That he mistreated his son and that's why the boy defected.'' Andrew scoffs at the allegation against his friend.

''Well did he?' Tatum wonders aloud.

''No. 'Course not. Children defect for all kinds of reasons.'' Natalie answers.

''Well,'' Tatum stands up grabbing her empty plate, ''you never know what happens behind closed doors.'' She exits.

︻╦̵̵̿╤──

It was finally the choosing ceremony the Prior family walked into the room seeing many bright colours of each faction. Today majority of the sections will be mismatched with different factions, as people are going to become who they really are and finally feel where they belong. A woman with icy blond hair walks up to the family... Erudite of course.

''Good morning, Andrew. How is Marcus holding up?'' She greets her family. All Tatum wanted and could think of was to punch her fake smile off her ugly face.

''As well as can be expected.'' Andrew responds coldly as Tatum watches her dad's sass in awe.

''We need to find out who's behind these rumors.'' The lady 'Jeanine' says fakely.

''I think we all know who it is.'' Natalie scoffs as Jeanine sighs. Tatum squeezes her mom's hand in a way to say 'well done'.

''If it's from Erudite, I promise I'll find out who. These are your children. I don't think I knew they were choosing today. What are your names?'' Jeanine turns to the Prior siblings.

''I'm Caleb,'' Caleb shakes her hand before waiting for Beatrice to answer, ''urr that's Beatrice and this is-''

''Tatum.'' She answers confidently mirroring Jeanine's fake smile, she makes sure to squeeze Jeanies hand extra right to intimidate her Jeanine winces in pain.''

''Well, you three have a big decision to make today. I'm sure your parents will support whatever choice you make.'' Jeanine looks back at Andrew and Natalie.

''That's not supposed to be a choice. The test tells us what to do.'' Beatrice looks Jeanine in the eyes. Tatum was shocked by her attitude.

''You're still free to choose.''  Jeanine looks at Beatrice oddly.

''But we all know you wouldn't want that.'' Tatum pushes as Caleb nudges her.

︻╦̵̵̿╤──

sorry for the short one