Married To The Sea

dude i am really really sorry for not updating. Writing F1 fanfics is hard.

Love is not full of pity, as men say,
But deaf and cruel where he means to prey.

May.
One week before the Monaco grand prix.

Ilaria Grimaldi dislikes seeing her family for one thing and one thing only; they're royals.

Members of the high class society of Monaco, the entirety of Europe even, where they pretend they still are at the age of Renaissance where they make part of the small exclusive families who are members of the ton.

Stuck up people who still believe just because they have money they feel entitled to act like royals.

Ilaria's family is though, but still, it sucks. Really sucks.

Her grandmother announced to her earlier that most of her family will be coming to the Monaco grand prix. Which sucks times two. Her only way of copping was by getting out of the house in search for the first bar she could find.

Ilaria usually doesn't like to drink unless it's for a night out or special occasions, it's not her thing to drink alcohol in the middle of the day of a sunny Wednesday where she usually would be out in the sea. But today was different and the urge to drown her problems in alcohol caught up to her eventually.

He had been sitting next to her for a while now. It seemed like he followed Ilaria the minute she left her grandmother's apartment after their screaming match.

She can't complain honestly, his presence is soothing and just by a menacing glare any guy trying to talk to her scurries away. Ilaria decided to speak to him after a while though, already a few drinks down her system which made her feel more relaxed, more her old self. "It took me a while to turn my problems to alcohol."

"You really shouldn't." Max instantly answers with a sigh. "And I shouldn't had let you past the second drink."

"Cocktails taste so good." Ilaria ignored him sipping the bright pink drink. "Are you a cocktail guy or the beer type?"

Max snorted, seeing how a smile of her own grew on her face. "The way you're saying cocktail really isn't making things any better right now." He slowly took away the drink, placing it far away from her reach and ignoring the way she protested. "What happened?"

"Don't you have anywhere else better to go?"

"Here is better." Max shrugged. "Watching you get waisted alone is worth missing any meeting I had." In truth, he had no meeting to attend or anything particularly interesting to do.

"How funny." She replied with no amusement at all.

"So, what's going on in that head of yours." He tried smiling warmly at her, and as much as he tells himself it's a big effort for him, it really isn't when it comes to this girl.

"Horrible family. Terrible. Embarrassing. You name it."

"Yeah... I get that."

After some silent minutes Ilaria finally gathered up the courage to shift her eyes to his, realizing for the first time the sadness behind that icy blue. "Listen Max, I'm sorry for the way Charles acted towards you. I really don't understand what's going on with him lately."