Ringing bells

Is it silly to think, that perhaps, maybe in another lifetime, Ilaria and Charles Leclerc would have gotten married?

Forgive her for sounding so delusional, but there is something so...intriguing about an almost. An almost relationship, an almost job or an almost second chance.

"That's the saddest word in the world" Ilaria said without even turning to Daniel, which is the person to her left while Charles was at her right. "Almost" the word had been mentioned by the priest during his small introduction speech and for a reason it got stuck in her mind.

"It is never enough" Daniel replied even if she didn't actually expect him to. "I agree with you"

Lewis Hamilton is getting married today. Ilaria had the pleasure to go since he was kind enough to invite a few F1 drivers and Charles took her as his plus one. The invitation was so sudden she almost didn't have time to buy a dress but thank her father for his sad soul for never getting rid of her mother's expensive dresses.

Suddenly Lando turns around a little so only his side profile is visible. "You're so gloomy"

Instead of a smart reply, Ilaria kicks his chair hard. A snort leaving Daniel's mouth as a result. Thank you Lewis for thinking ahead and placing all the racing drivers right at the back.

"You both stop it" Sebastian is the next one to interrupt, his glare alone is enough to shut them all up for the rest of the ceremony.

For the reception they had to walk a little further away. Since they got married at the beach and the tide would eventually grow at sunset.

She again sat next to Charles at the long table, with Daniel by her side and Sebastian, Carlos, Lando and Max across.

"Crazy to think Lewis got married" Charles whispers to her.

Ilaria recalls Charles telling her about Lewis personality and how secretive and intimate he is. For his level of fame and friends, it surprises her he decided on inviting a few drivers rather than all of his famous friends. "It's more unusual for him to have invited us"

Though, they both got surprised when they saw a few of the Kardashians and some other rather odd famous people she had no clue Lewis could be friends with. What took her by surprise the most is how no other F1 driver brought their girlfriend or wive along, not even a friend.

"Unusual is for me to be here" Max jokes after listening to their conversation. At which Daniel snorted so loud that everyone closest turned to stare.

A waiter placed the decorated plate of food in front of Lando, watching with disgust the shrimps waiting to be eaten. "Uhg its sea food? Gross. I'm not eating"

"Child" Carlos whispers, which isn't really a whisper because Lando turns to him ready to recite the mental essay he made just when people criticize him for not eating seafood.

"I think its nice" Sebastian ignores the fight, continuing with the previous conversation. "It shows he actually cares"

"No driver does" Daniel mutters.

At this, Charles eyes burn onto the side of her face, while she quietly eats the shrimps and whatever food she can't recognize is on the plate.

Ilaria sends him a look and with that he keeps on like normal.

"There's always been something so peculiar about the upper lower class" she whispered to Daniel, whom she found interesting enough to keep up with her conversations.

"What do you mean?"

"like— the people that climed the social ranking with fame" she explains. "They try too hard"

"Ilaria comes from a very— different way of living"

She gave a look at Charles, that basically says forgive her for coming from a wealthy family. Charles sent her, another look in reply, which she just ignores.

"What did you mean?"

"They look ridiculous trying to brag their money"

"I'm sorry, hold on, I got lost. You're basically saying Lewis is tacky?"

Daniel could never get an answer out of her because in seconds music started playing and Lewis and his newly wife are seen dancing while people gather around with smiles on their faces.

"I don't understand you" Daniel is the one to speak now, after all the drivers left to watch the dance floor and only Ilaria and him stay sat down. "There's more to you than the simple I hate her just because from Max"

"He does hate me without an actual explanation." But she does know his reasons, and that's no place for Ilaria to tell even as close Daniel is with him. "But that's life and I can't force him to like me"

"You need to get laid" he nods as if he just said the greatest idea ever.

Ilaria contains her emotions, not even tearing her eyes away from a laughing Max and Pierre. "I don't— I don't participate in that culture"

"You need to start to" he muttered."Let me take you out"

"You're implying to have sex with me?"

"No! I just asked, let me take you out. Not necessarily a date. Just to talk" to which she only dismissed him without words."I want to know what Max hates about you so much"