thirty three

"there's a reason you hide from them

"there's a reason you hide from them."

-

march, 1986

hawkins

"TURN HERE." y/n tells steve.

"here?" dustin asks.

y/n slowly nods her head.

y/n got out of the car, and started walking away.

y/n was already getting shaken up, with what she was going to do.

she was going to melissa's grave, she hasn't gone there since the funeral.

y/n went up to melissa's gravestone, and sat in front of it, criss-crossed.

y/n takes out the letter she wrote for melissa out of the envelope.

"dear melissa," y/n begins reading the letter. "i don't know if you can even hear this. so much has happened since you left. i can't stand being here without you, there hasn't been a day gone by where i haven't thought about you."

y/n started to tear up, and her voice started to break, then she continued reading the letter.

"i never took off the necklace you gave me. basically, ever since you left, everything's been.. a total disaster, and the worst part is, i can't tell anyone why you're gone. i can't tell them that you saved el's life. that you saved my life."

y/n felt tears coming down her face, landing onto the paper.

"i play that moment back in my head all the time. and sometimes i imagine myself running to you, pulling you away. i imagine that if i had, that you would still be here. and everything would be.."

y/n paused for a moment, as tears continued to fall from her face.

"everything would be right again. i imagine that we.. we could've had more sleepovers, hang out with max and el again."

"but that's not what happened. i just.. i stood there, and i watched. for awhile, i tried to be happy. normal. but i.."

y/n began to wipe her tears.

"i think that maybe a part of me died that day too. and i haven't told anyone this. i.. i just can't. but i had to tell you. before it's too late. if you can even hear this. i really hope that you can."

y/n began to cry even harder, her voice starting it break even more.

"i'm sorry. i'm so, so sorry, melissa. i wished i could've saved you."

she began wiping her tears.

"love, your best friend, y/n."

y/n folded up the paper again, and stuffed it back into the envelope.