twenty seven

"i'm gonna miss playing d&d with you

"i'm gonna miss playing d&d with you."

-

october, 1985

IN TRUTH y/n didn't want to leave hawkins.

will was more keen on moving to california, and way more keen on it.

y/n grew up in hawkins, and she really didn't want to leave, despite everything that happened, the place just held too many memories for her.

y/n finished packing up, unfortunately.

she looked up at the teddy bear, that was too high up in the closet to reach for her.

she tried concentrating on it, maybe her powers could work.

but no matter how hard she tried, they were gone, just like melissa.

y/n sighed in defeat, and gave up.

"they'll come back." mike said as he walked into the room. "i know they will."

y/n looked over to him and her face immediately softened up.

he reached up for the teddy bear, and handed it it her.

"thanks." y/n said as she held onto it.

"you packed your walkie, right?" mike asked with a smile.

"yes." y/n replied.

"because you know that i'm gonna steal cerebro from dustin and call you so much, you're gonna have to turn it off, right?" mike added.

they both laughed, but then y/n spoke up again.

"did you talk to your mom? about thanksgiving?" y/n asked.

"yeah. yeah, yeah. i got the okay. i'll be there." mike responded. "and then i was thinking maybe you could come up here for christmas. and, will and el too. you can come before or after christmas, or whatever mrs. byers wants, but i was thinking christmas day could be super fun because we'd all have cool new presents to play with, and uh.."

mike immediately cut himself off.

"sorry, that made me sound like a child." mike blushed.

y/n just started laughing.

y/n started to walk away, but she couldn't do it, she had to say something.

y/n turned around.

"mike?"

mike turned around. "yeah?"

y/n sighed before speaking again. "remember that day, at the cabin, you were talking to max?"

mike furrowed his brows slightly. "um.. i don't think i follow."

"you talked about your— your feelings." y/n stuttered.

"oh-" mike realized in embarrassment as he touched the back of his neck. "oh, yeah, that was so long ago. um.. that was really heat of the moment stuff, and we were arguing and... what did i say exactly?"

y/n grew impatient in mike pretending to play dumb.

"mike!" y/n said as she walked closer up to him, and grabbed his arm.

"do you love me or not?" she asks him.

he glared at her, with his face flushing.

"yeah." mike admitted.

y/n immediately leaned in, pressing her lips against his, as he gripped onto her waist.

they both pulled away, slowly opening their eyes.

-

"y/n, can i talk to you?" joyce suddenly asked y/n.

y/n was really confused by this.

"yeah.. sure." y/n replied.

"did you want to move?" joyce asks.

"not at all. but if it makes you, will, and jonathan happy, then i'm happy." y/n explained.

"y/n, mike talked to me." joyce says.

"about what?"

"about how you could stay, and how his mom wouldn't mind having you live with them." joyce says.

"what.. really?" y/n asks with a little excitement.

joyce nodded her head, with watery eyes, and a smile.

but then y/n's face dropped once she realized.

"but what about the rest of you?" y/n asks with a little hurt.

"y/n, you're free to live with us anytime, remember that." joyce says.

joyce was surprised she even gave into a 14-year-old boy convincing her. but she really felt bad for y/n, after all y/n's been through with the upside down, loosing her best friend.

-

once it was time for el, will, jonathan, and joyce to leave, y/n felt a pang of sadness hit again.

everybody was hugging each other, jonathan hugged y/n.

"here's a mixtape, so you could listen to it whenever you miss me." jonathan says with a smile as he handed her a mixtape.

"like i'd even miss you." y/n joked with a smile. "i'm kidding. i'm gonna miss you like crazy."

y/n hugged jonathan again.

then she went up to joyce.

"i love you so much, sweetie." joyce says as she hugs y/n, and kisses her cheek.

"i love you too, mom."

then y/n went up to will, which she felt like this one hurt the most, since will and her have been so close their whole lives.

y/n felt her eyes watering.

"i'm gonna miss playing d&d with you." y/n tells will.

"remember on christmas, when we were playing in mike's basement for the whole day." will says with a smile.

y/n smiled too, recalling the memory.

y/n pulled will in for a hug, as the two started to silently cry.

"i love you." will says to y/n.

"i love you too."

then it was time for them to leave, they got into the moving truck, as y/n stared at will, jonathan, joyce, and el leaving, with a sad expression on her face.

then y/n looked down at her neck, and gripped onto the necklace melissa gave her three months ago.

-