twenty one

"she deserves better

"she deserves better."

-

july, 1985

AFTER EL FINISHED brushing her teeth, she went back onto the bed, next to y/n and max.

"which one?" max asks el with a smile as she holds two comics.

"i don't know." el replies as she puts the covers over her.

"hey, there's nothing to worry about anymore, okay?" max assures the girls.

"it doesn't make sense." el sighs.

"what doesn't make sense?" max asks.

"heather.." el replies. "the blood. the ice."

"heather had a fever, so she took a cold bath, but she's better now." max tells el. "that has to be it. i don't know where that blood came from, but, we saw her. okay? we all did. she's totally fine."

"what about billy?" y/n asks.

"what about him?" max asks in confusion.

"he seemed wrong." y/n replies.

max chuckles. "wrong is kind of like his default. but it's nice to know he's not a murderer, because that would've totally sucked."

el points on the comic.

"who.. who is that?" el asks y/n, pointing on wonder woman.

"see, this is why you can't just hang out with mike all the time." y/n tells el, then y/n picks up the comic. "this is wonder woman. a.k.a princess diana. she's from paradise island, which is, like, this hidden island where there are only women amazon warriors."

el rested her head on y/n's shoulder as y/n read the comic to her.

-

y/n wakes up in the morning to hearing lucas talk on the walkie.

"max, y/n, do you copy? i know y/n is with you max." lucas says through the walkie. "this is a code red. i repeat, this is a code red. max and y/n, do you copy?"

y/n picks up the walkie and scoffs as max and el woke up.

"shut up!" y/n harshly tells lucas through the walkie, then switches it off.

y/n then tries going back to sleep.

but then, a few seconds later, she hears max's phone ring.

y/n scoffs and rolls her eyes.

"you've got to be kidding me." y/n angrily says, and then gets up.