Chapter 30

Mirah's POV:

"Sierra, it's your turn to do up the dishes." mom told my little sister. 

 "What about me? Am I helping her?" Ian asked. 

 Mom groaned. Every time Ian tried to do dishes, he broke them. "No, I don't think so, son. Jordan, would you mind giving your sister a hand?" 

 "Ok, mom. I'll be right back, buttercup." my youngest brother smiled sweetly at Aviana, his mate. 

 "I'll be here." she blushed. 

 When everyone had left the room, Tanner turned to me. "What's on your mind, Love?" he asked. 

 "I feel like maybe...." I began. 

 "What?" 

 "Maybe Nolan wasn't exactly telling the truth when Sierra asked if he was ok." 

 "What do you mean? Maybe his eyes were just watering." he volunteered. 

 I shook my head. "His eyes weren't just watering. Those were tears...I'm concerned, Tanner." 

 He smiled at me. "If it makes you feel better, the three of us will go talk to the boy. Though if something is troubling him, I think he should tell Sierra." 

 "Thank you, Love." 

 "No problem.." he said as he leaned in and kissed me. 

 We may have gotten off to a....pretty rocky start, but now, I couldn't ask for a better mate. If I had to do it over again, there isn't a thing I would change. 

 We stood up and went up the stairs. Sierra's door was open. Nolan was sitting, with his back turned to us, on the bed. 

 "Nolan?" Tanner asked slowly. 

 He jumped and turned to face us. "Oh, I'm sorry..I didn't know you were there." he said quickly wiping his eyes. He had been crying and we knew it. 

 I glanced over at Tanner, who nodded at me. 

 "Do you mind if we come in?" I asked him softly. 

 "No, come on in." he said. 

 We went in and sat down on the bed. 

 "Would you like to hold Tana?" I asked. 

 He shrugged. "I guess so...Would you let me?" he asked. He wanted to, but I think he was nervous. 

 "Of course, Nolan. Here, just put out your arms just like this." Tanner showed him how to hold a baby. When he had little Tana in his arms, I glanced over at Tanner and he nodded. 

 "Nolan, is everything ok?" I asked him. 

 "O-of course, Miss Mirah! Why wouldn't it be?" he said, trying to sound convincing. I don't know who he was trying to convince. Himself or me. 

 "Bro, we know you were crying. And earlier, in the kitchen, your eyes weren't just watering. Those were tears." Tanner remarked. 

 Nolan looked at us, wide eyed. "Y-you won't tell Sierra, will you?" 

 "Tell me what.." a voice asked from behind us. We turned only to be faced with a suspicious Sierra. "Tell me what, guys? And, please, I want the truth." she stated, looking from Tanner and I, to Nolan.

  I sighed and looked over at Tanner who nodded. Nolan was shaking his head profusely. 

 "Nolan was crying, sis. In the kitchen earlier, he was crying as well." 

 "Miss Mirah!" Nolan exclaimed. 

 "I can see he was crying..His eyes are red..." Sierra said quietly. "But why, Nolan? Why would you lie to me?" 

 "I didn't want you to worry....I didn't want anyone to worry..." he mumbled. 

 "It's ok...But please, will you tell me why you were so upset?" 

 He hesitated. There was silence in the room for a minute or two. "I was thinking about.....about my family.." 

 "What about your family, Nolan?" I asked. 

 Nolan looked down and it was as if Tana could feel how distressed and upset he was. She snuggled deeper into his arms and he gave a tiny smile. 

 "When my little sister was born...When my big brother played castle with my sister and I.... When my sister would have me french braid her hair....When mom and dad would read stories to me..." as he spoke, tears rolled down his cheeks. 

 "What happened to them..?" Tanner asked slowly. 

 His voice was cracking as he spoke. "W-we were on our way home from picking my brother up from his college....T-there was an accident...d-dad...h-he lot control of the car.....it flipped over....Dad and mom died...My siblings were put in a coma.....I don't know what happened to them...It's been years. After the accident, I was abused by my pack. My life was made more of a living nightmare than it already was! Finally, a few days ago, I'd had enough and ran away..." Nolan was crying. 

 Tanner took Tana from him and Sierra went over to him and hugged him tightly. 

 "I lost my family...All in one horrible day..." he cried.

  It was like that for several minutes. Then, Sierra got an idea. I could tell from the way her face changed. "Nolan, you say you never knew what happened to your big brother and little sister..?" she asked. 

 He nodded and wiped his eyes with his sleeve. 

 "What if, somehow, we could find out what happened? And if we found out they were still alive, maybe set up a meeting?"

  We all stared at her. 

 "Wait...Really? Yes yes yes!!" he cried and hugged so tightly I wondered if she was able to even breathe. 

 "Well, I think we should put Tana down for her nap. We'll talk to you two later." I stated, motioning for Tanner to follow me. 

 "What was she thinking?? She can't possible be able do find them!" Tanner remarked to me when we were in our room. 

 "I know, I know. But one thing is certain." I began. 

 "That you have a lot of broken people in your family? Yep. Very true, honey." 

 "Excuse me??" I stared at him. 

 "Well, I didn't mean it like that.....Just because they're broken in a way..Doesn't mean they don't find a way to be happy. Because your family has." Tanner smiled. "I was actually broken in a way...But my mate and child brought me happiness...More joy and happiness I could have ever asked for.." 

 I blushed. "Oh Tanner. Your so sweet sometimes." I smiled at him and we sat down on the bed. "What I was saying was, Nolan needs his family. At least his siblings." 

 "Why not find a witch and ask them to revive his mom and dad?" he asked me. 

 "Because, that has a heavy price to pay. If they were to be brought back from the dead, two people would have to lose their lives. There's no telling who either. It's random."  I explained. 

 "Wow...That's crazy. But couldn't a good witch do it without that happening?" 

 I shook my head. "Evil or good, it doesn't matter. It's the same spell. The only difference between evil witches and good witches, is that one uses their spells and magic for evil, the other, for good." 

 "I see...You know, maybe the Alpha, if he had their names, he could look for pack members from other packs with his siblings names." he said. 

 "That's a good idea! We'll bring it up to them later." I smiled at my mate. 

 "Perfect.." he replied as he leaned forward to kiss me.