Chapter 5

Liam's POV:

I listened in pure shock as Jake explained what had happened. 

 "My mate, is your twin sister, Hannah. She said unless..." I heard him sigh. "Unless I changed, then I can forget about my mate. She said I don't deserve to be a lynx." 

 "What did she say you deserved to be, Jake?" Hannah asked. 

 "She said I deserved to be human." he answered. 

 "She's right. He's a brat. If I were her, I'd reject him too!" Flynn remarked to me. 

 I nodded.  

 "Then, my stupid cat supports that bratty mate of mine and doesn't even want to be my cat! He says he's ashamed to be my lynx. He even called me stupid!" 

 I sighed. I felt Hannah put her arm around me. Now, don't ask where or how I got the courage to say this. But at that moment, I said, "Well, I don't blame either one of them. They're right. I heard mother crying and what you said to her. You bully others who haven't done anything to you, you hurt mom and insult somebody she obviously loved..You are nothing but a bully and a brat. I don't know what ever happened to you, Jake. When we were young, you were so caring and kind, not to mention sweet." 

 I could hear Jake breathing heavily. "You are nothing but a big liar and a blind loser! Why would I listen to you?! Get out! Both of you losers!" he yelled. 

 Hannah and I headed towards what I assume was the door. 

 But, before we exited the room, Hannah retorted, "Why are you sending us away? Huh? Because what Liam said was right and you feel guilty? Well, for your information, he's right! We aren't the losers. Your the loser. And I frankly feel sorry for you. C'mon, Liam. He's not worth it." Her voice sounded sad. 

 I felt sad. I could feel tears running down my cheeks, as I turned my head in the direction I thought Jake's voice came from. As we walked out of his room, we could hear Jake crying. I wanted to go running in and comfort him, but Hannah held me back. 

 "He needs to be alone if he's ever going to realize he is the one in the wrong..Although I understand how you feel. I do wish I could go in and comfort him as well. Come, there's something I want to do.." She led me outside. "Liam, it's time you learned you are no different from everybody else just because your blind. It's time you learned you are very special and you can do anything your parents, me, my sister, and anyone can do. And I'm going to help you. But, I'm not going to baby you. I'm going to be firm." 

 "What?! Is that a joke?!" I exclaimed. "I can't do anything! Jake is right. I'm a blind loser!" 

 "He isn't right, Liam! He is very, very wrong! I won't let you spend the rest of your life feeling sorry for yourself. You are going to learn how to live without your sight and without people helping you 24/7." she said firmly. 

 "Finally!" Flynn exclaimed. How does nobody understand?! I am blind! I can't do anything!

Jake's POV:

I sat in my bed, crying after they had left. I don't know if they heard me, and I don't care if they did. I was pretending to be something I wasn't. On the inside, I was a small, weak, and timid little lynx. On the outside, I was tough, brave, and strong. 

 I got up and ran to the house that Hannah and her family lived in. I knocked on the door. It was opened by Dianna. She scowled and was about to shut the door, when I stopped her. 

 "Wait! I just want to talk to you." I said quickly. 

 "If it's to bully me and say something mean then your wasting your time. I don't associate with people like you." she said.

  I hesitated but finally I said, "No. It's not. Can I please just have a few minutes of your time?" 

 She stared at me like I had lost my mind. But she finally came out and shut the door behind her. "What do you want?" she asked. 

 "Look, I'm...I'm sorry. After I found out that my brother was blind and would probably never see again, I was very angry. I was angry at myself, dad, mom, Liam, the doctor, and the intruder. I was mad at mom and dad for not protecting Liam. And mad at Liam for going downstairs in the first place. Mad at the doctor for not being able to cure him..And mad at the intruder for being there. If it weren't for him, Liam would still be able to see and he wouldn't have lost his confidence and everything else that made Liam, Liam! So, I guess, to hide my feelings, I started bullying. I never understood how wrong it was and how much I was hurting the ones who cared about me. I started hanging out with the popular kids and even bullied my brother..the one who's always loved me and cared for me..the one who's always protected me when I was afraid. We used to be so close as kids..but now, I fear it's too late for me. That's all..Thanks for giving me some time to talk. Bye, Dianna." I turned and started back home. 

 "Jake! Jake, wait!" she called after me. 

 I didn't turn and I didn't listen. Firgus was going nuts. 

 "What are you doing, idiot?! She's talking to you!" he exclaimed. 

 I shook my head. "It's too late for me, Firgus. I'm sorry.." I commented. 

 I walked slowly back to the pack house and never looked back. It wasn't because I didn't love her. I did. But I just felt that all I've done was unforgivable and I didn't deserve another chance. When I got back to the pack house, I walked past my parents and walked up to my room. 

 "Jake, where are you going? It's time for dinner." my mother called from the bottom of the stairs. 

 I sighed. "I'm not hungry." I said and walked into my room, shutting the door behind me.