Chapter 27

Late night. The police officers, the youths who were being interrogated – each and every single one of them was exhausted to the bone. It was a competition; and everyone was fighting tooth and nail in order to emerge victorious in this competition of perseverance and grit.

Two youths – both had extremely frail and fragile outer appearances, and yet, they were filled with bones and nerves of steel.

Rubbing his red rimmed eyes, Senior Yang suggested to Zheng Yi, "In order to prove that your conjecture is correct, we have no choice but to use this one last method."

"Which method?"

"The Prisoner's Dilemma."

The Prisoner's Dilemma is a theory which theorizes that, where there are two or more persons who had jointly committed an offence and are unable to communicate with each other, each person would be more inclined to tell the truth or "betray" each other by exposing the other person's involvement in the crime (out of self-interest) as they are unable to trust the other person, and/or under circumstances where they have been informed that the other person had already confessed.

Nobody would be able to emerge unscathed and remain steadfast under such psychological stress.

The interrogations swiftly commenced.

Lisa sat in her solitary interrogation room, her entire being seemingly pale and white-washed. The crimson red string on her wrist stood out boldly, as though she had suffered a bloodied cut.

The police officers filed into the interrogation room expressionlessly. Before Lisa had time to reconfigure the expression on her face into her default expression of blankness, Senior Yang slammed a pile of documents onto the table in front of her. Staring at her severely, Senior Yang announced, "Jungkook has confessed."

Lisa looked at Senior Yang silently, waiting patiently for Senior Yang to complete his sentence. Not even a single flicker of fear, surprise or anxiety flashed across her face.

"Lisa, Jungkook has confessed." Senior Yang repeated. "He has confirmed that both of you are joint criminals."

Lisa shook her head slowly, "That's not true."

"The day Wei Cai disappeared – although it seems as though Wei Cai had only gone to the hill behind the school compound for the sole purpose of meeting Xu Miao, that's not true. In actuality, she had only requested to meet Xu Miao as she happened to be in the area – to meet you. There was also no need for Wei Cai to reach you via your mobile number, as she had already informed you one day prior to meet her there. As the time for the meeting coincided with the timing of your Physical Education class, it was extremely convenient for you to head to the hill behind the school compound, meet Wei Cai, and injure her there. Subsequently, once you've managed to stab Wei CAi, you returned to class and innocuously commented on the difficulty of obtaining tickets for Titanic. Having overhead your comment, Li Xiang asked you out to watch the movie, to which you readily agreed. You then requested for Jungkook to dispose of the incriminating evidence during your time at the movie, thereby creating a perfect alibi for yourself."