xxix. Lightning Strikes

━━ chapter twenty-ninelightning strikes( jason )

lightning strikes
( jason )

✿✼:*゚:༅。.。༅:*·゚゚·⭑

     ━━Jason didn't know much, but he did know a few things. His memory might be like shattered, scattered china on an invisible floor━with no chances of picking up the pieces, but there were fragments; feelings, muscle memory, whispers that echoed in his ears and told him what to do. He might be mortal, but he also had the blood of a God━the king of all the Gods. He had been built, he had been trained, he had been disciplined as a leader, a fighter, a warrior━not just a legionnaire, but the general, the man who stood at the very front with an army behind him. He knew that; and it was unsettling━but he knew it with such familiarity that it was also comforting.

    He also knew, with a settling weight in his stomach; like stones had drifted down to the river-bed, that long ago, Jason Grace had recognised that one day, he will die━and he had accepted it. Like a soldier who left his home each time for a battle, he knew there was a possibility that he might not return. That was the job━no, the burden of being not just a warrior, but a demigod. He didn't know, but he did know, twisting up in his chest and making it momentarily hard to breathe, that death was the destiny of every demigod━to die too soon, to die a tragic death, to die a heroes death. 

     He knew━when his lance broke━that he might have very well reached that day. 

    A lot in his life felt unfinished━but Jason had a feeling he has always felt like that. He was a lost boy thrown into a world he didn't understand even then and expected to be the best of them all. A Prince. 

     Princes━even if they made it to becoming Kings━always died far too soon, too. 

     The battle had started well enough. His training that was rooted into his very DNA kept him alive as long as it did━telling him what to do before he could barely think what he was supposed to do. His legs moved, his body twisted, his arms brandished the lance━commencing moves that an Ancient Roman military general would be proud of. He might not know in his head, but he knew in his gut that he had faced opponents almost this large before━size and strength meant sluggish reactions ... or at least it should, and so Jason naturally had to be faster━pace himself, wear out his opponent and avoid either getting crushed or burnt alive. 

     It was futile, he knew━Piper had said that the only way they had killed the giants in the past was with the help of the gods, and they were indisposed at the time being; locking themselves behind their ichor doors above the world; they were probably watching him now, enjoying the battle, and anticipating the knowledge that Jason was going to perish either way. 

    He rolled out of the way from the giant's first spear thrust and pierced Enceladus in the ankle. His weapon managed to dig under the thick dragon hide and golden ichor━the blood of immortals━trickled down the giant's clawed foot.